28. Hollow

Your hands shake as you pace the small stall. You didn't have the patience to make it all the way home before taking the pregnancy test.

"Do I want this?" You mumble to yourself. Do you really want a child? Gilbert's child? It would be a constant reminder that you'd never see Gilbert again.

You glanced down at the stick again. The test still hadn't finished. With a huff, you sit down on the rim of the toilet, your head in your hands. "Oh Gilbert." You lament. "It's only been a few hours and I'm losing it."

You glance down at the stick and your stomach drops.

Negative

***

Your front door swings open with a push and hits the wall with a hollow thump. The hallway is dark and cold amd silent. You take a deep breath and step inside, locking the door behind you. Your footsteps echo off the walls with each step.

You peer into the kitchen. It's a complete wreck. Several of the cupboard doors are ripped off their hinges, the table and chairs are overturned (one of the chairs a scattered in peices all over the kitchen floor) and most of your dishes lay shattered on the tile floor. Not to mention it looked like a flour factory had exploded in there.

With a sigh, you begin the clean-up. You start by carefully gathering the peices of broken plates and glasses off the floor and disposing of them in the garbage can that now rested on the other side of the room from where it originally was. It was also battered and on it's side.

Next, you put the table back upright and then the chairs, gathering the pieces of the broken one in your arms and placing them on top of the table for later. You also gathered the cupboard doors that had been ripped off and put them with the peices of the chair.

You swept up the flour and disposed of it out of your backdoor. It was biodegradable and would probably be whisked away by the wind soon enough. Also, the snow on the ground blended perfectly with the flour so it was invisible unless you looked very closely.

The running river caught your eye and you pause. On impulse, and perhaps curiosity, you walk out through the snow towards it. Cold water seeps through your socks as you walk but you don't care. You sink to your knees at the riverside, dipping your hands into the water, wishing for it to be warm the way it was that last night with Gilbert. But it wasn't. It was cold. So cold it burnt your hands in a way.

You bowed you head and cried.

***

The wood glue made an awkward squishing sound as you pressed a rod into the appropriate slot. Rebuilding the chair was harder than you'd thought. You could only put a few peices together at a time and when the glue dried, you couls then glue peices together. This glue took a long time to dry. By the time you'd glued a half of the chair back together, the sun had dipped far bellow the horizon.

You used your time wisely. As the glue dried, you screwed the cabinet doors back on. And found yourself something to eat. Unfortunately that something was a can of tuna and some atale crackers. Everything else in your fridge had gone off. That was understandable, though. You hadn't really been paying attention to basic necessities like that since you'd met the countries.

You glued the final pieces of the chair together and went to bed. Exhaustion hit like a brick wall as soon as you saw your bed. You quickly slipped on some fluffy pajamas and crawled into your bed's warm embrace.

Your body shook as you cried yourself to sleep.

***

That night, you did not go back to Gilbert's world. You did not dream.

It was the first good night's sleep you'd had for a long time.