Prologue

Rae's POV

I was on my way home with my family;
My mom, my dad, my older sister Sydney, my twin brother Tyler, and my little brother Jamie.

It was a rainy September night and we had just finished my brother and my birthday dinner. It was late and we were all tired. We had fallen asleep in the back and my mom had fallen asleep in the passenger seat.

My dad was driving and we were almost home; two blocks away, when we were hit by a drunk driver, swerved and wrapped into a tree. My dad died on impact. My mom did too. Sydney was on the side that was hit by the drunk driver. She was killed on impact too. My brother Jamie lay unconscious between Tyler and myself. Tyler was unconscious and blood trickled down his forehead. He was on the side hit by the tree.

Sydney was in the first row by herself. I sat behind her with Jamie and Tyler in the backseats. I was the only one who wasn't unconscious. Or dead.

I could hear sirens in the distance and saw blurs of red and blue lights through the rain specked and cracked window. I remember them coming and pulling me out of the wreckage. They brought me and my brothers to the hospital. On the ride I fell unconscious. Only after I woke up in a hospital bed, did I learn that Jamie had died in the ambulance. His little 6 year old body had been bleeding internally. Tyler had a concussion and a lot of broken bones. He had fractured his skull and was undergoing surgery. He died halfway through the operation. I was lucky; well I wouldn't put it that way, that I only had a minor concussion and a broken arm.

That was a few months ago. On my 16 birthday. My parents were both only-children, and my grandparents had already passed. I had no family to turn to. I was put into foster care. Since then I've been in two homes and kicked out of both. I'm working on my third.