Chapter 19

Rae's POV

Yesterday was a mess. After Shane and Sterling hashed it out, I stayed in my room. I didn't go down for dinner and when Isaac came in for bed, I ignored him too. I shut everyone out.

And that's the way I'm gonna keep it. If I can bottle up my emotions and not give a shit about anything, I won't get into stupid situations. It worked for me for the past 16 years, so why won't it work now?

I got up extra early this morning to take my shower. I want to avoid as many human interactions as possible. I showered quickly and returned to my room to gather all of my school stuff and clothes. I carried it back to the bathroom to finish getting ready.

Today I threw on a mini-skirt and a black shoulderless shirt. I put on a necklace and some hoop earrings. I straightened my hair and then curled the tips. I pulled it into a high-ponytail. Then I started my make-up. I applied my foundation and blush. I put on mascara, dark eyeshadow, winged-eyeliner, and dark red lipstick. To top off my look, I added the only pair of heels I own, 3-inch black Pumps.

I took my things back to my bedroom and threw them on my bed. I checked my phone and it was already 6:50. The boys would be awake in 10 minutes. I scurried down the stairs and to the kitchen.

I step inside the kitchen to find Shane sitting eating his cereal inconspicuously.

"Oh. I didn't think anyone else was awake." I grab a bowl from the cupboard and pour some Frosted Flakes and milk inside it.

"Why are you up early?" He eyes my outfit and my make-up.

"I just wanted a head start today, that's all." I pull out a spoon and start on my cereal.

"Why are you dressed like that?"

"Like what?" I stare at him like, Really? Why does it even matter?

"You know- slutty."

"Excuse me?" I hold out the u in excuse for more emphasis. "I'm wearing a skirt, a black shirt, and heels. Is that what makes me a slut? My clothes. Or is it the make-up I put on?" I let go of the walls I was trying to keep up. I'll deal with those later. Right now I have to deal with this.

"No, it's just, I mean-"

"What is it you mean exactly?" I ask sarcastically.

He opens his mouth to reply, but quickly shuts it.

"That's what I thought." I walk out of the kitchen leaving my half-eaten Frosted Flakes on the counter.