Chapter 29

I awoke by the sound of my dad's voice. The bed felt like it dipped on my right side. I opened one eye.

"Someone's at the door for you," My dad looked concerned. My vision is blurry. I groaned rubbing my eyes.

"Do I have to go?" I whined.

"Or do you want me to say you are not available at this time?" A hint of frustration was hidden in his voice. Whoever was at the door probably pissed my dad off or it's just not his day. I got up and slumped over to the door dodging the dresser so that I wouldn't bump into it. I walked down the stairs so slowly. It felt like I only slept for 5 minutes. But according to the sky, it was dark. When I headed over to the door it was closed. I opened it just ajar and looked out. No one was there. I thought the person must have left. I shrugged and closed the door followed by locking both locks.

"Dad, there's no one there!" I called up. Hearing my dad swear, I shook my head in disapproval. I heard my dad walk across the hallway towards the stairs.

"Dad, you okay?" I asked as he stood there up the stairway staring down as if he's stressed.

"I'm fine. Just, just, a little annoyed." He sighed and drew both his hands over his face. He walked slowly down the stairs. I watched his every step. He sighed again and slumped down on the couch next to me. He turned the television on. The screen showed an investigator shows that I'm very familiar with.

I sat down next to my dad and actually watched the show. Though most of the time I stared at my dad. He looked tired.

After a few minutes, my dad spoke.

"What, Layla!" He was annoyed by my staring. I wanted to laugh. But I couldn't.

"Nothing, just having eyes," I said bluntly. My dad turned the television off and turned to me.

"Really Layla, what do you want?" He asked calmly and patiently.

"I dunno just wanna know what's up with my dad," I said shrugging one shoulder. I looked towards the blank television screen. Looking at the reflection of the house.

"Layla," He sighed again. "I just am tired right now. I'm stressed out."

"By what?" I asked a little too excitedly. He sighed again and closed his eyes opening them again as he spoke.

"Just by you going to jail. Your friends or those boys you had over. And your mom being too worried about too many things." He said.

"That's a lot," I said without looking at him.

"Sorry about me being so distant and angry all of a sudden. It's just all of that is happening in this week is stressing me and your mom out."

My mouth formed into a thin line.

"Hm..." I said. "Did you get any sleep?"
"Nope, not as much as I'm supposed to," Dad said.

"You should get some sleep. I had my sleep. You should get yours." I crooked a smile and patted my dad on one shoulder.

I stood up and walked into the kitchen. I decided on making tea. I called out to my dad asking if he wanted any tea. He said it was a little too hot outside for tea. So he said he'll get water instead. I made my tea walking over to my dad handing the bottle to my dad. I grabbed my mug and slowly walked up the stairs staring at the almost over-filled cup of hot tea. I didn't want any of it to spill.

I walked into my room setting the mug down on my dresser. I hopped on my bed. Slipping under the blankets, pulling my laptop onto my lap. I opened it and tried to look up books I can find in the library for about half an hour.