|17| but he didn't

"Jordan.." Aleks' quavering voice spoke into the iPhone pressed to his ear.
"Aleks? Aleks what's wrong? What happened?" A worried tone responded.
Aleks opened his mouth to speak but all that left was a choked sob. He turned on his car, not wanting to be breaking down in front of his... boyfriend's? house..
He drove with blurry vision, gripping onto the steering wheel.
"Aleks are you driving? Pull over and park, buddy. Tell me what happened."
Aleks sniffled, pulling into the far end of a nearby liquor store. He crossed his arms over the steering wheel, placing his phone in his lap and activating the speaker.
"Aleks?"
"He's lying to me." Aleks spoke in a small voice, placing his forehead on his arms.
"What are you talking about?"
"James. He.. He has a.." Aleks gulped. Speaking out the word will only make him fully realize what just happened. What he just found out. "Girlfriend."
Jordan took a sharp intake of breath, sighing. "Oh, Aleks. I'm so sorry.. A-Are you sure..?"
Aleks nodded, more tears escaping from his eyes. "It's not a fucking sister. It's a girlfriend. He's lying to me. Oh, god. He's lying to me."
"Aleks, where are you at now?"
"I-I'm near Sarah's."
"Come to my house. Drive safe, okay? Be careful Aleks."
"Please don't hang up on me.." Aleks mumbled, gripping his steering wheel again.
"I won't. You're gonna be okay. Everything will be okay. Dry your eyes and look to the skies."
Aleks smiled at the last sentence. Jordan had always said that to him whenever he felt sad or lost or alone. It always seemed to help him in some way. He turned on the car, sniffling. He backed out of the parking lot after making sure the way was clear.
"Oh, misty eye of the mountain below~" Jordan began to sing in a soft voice.
"Keep careful watch of my brother's soul."
Aleks smirked, his friend always did love singing this song.
"And if the sky be filled with fire and smoke,
"Keep watching over Aleksandr." Jordan replaced, chuckling quietly.
Aleks joined in, keeping his eyes on the road. He felt his phone begin to vibrate, flicking his eyes to it briefly.
"Fuck off!" He yelled.
"Aleks?"
"James is trying to call me."
"Oh.." The older sighed. "I'm gonna whip out my knife collection, hold on."
Aleks laughed, ignoring James' call. "Nah, I don't want you going to jail."
"Who said I'll get caught?"
"Who said you wouldn't?"
"Me. Maybe I'll just antagonize him first, let him take the first hit. Then I can cut him up because of self defense."
"Oh, my god. You are crazy."
Jordan cackled crazily, causing Aleks to giggle.
"Jesus fuck, dude! That shit sounds scary!"
Jordan laughed, leaning closer to his phone as he whispered, "Spooky scary skeletons-"
"Please no." Aleks chortled, extremely grateful to have someone like Jordan to cheer him up. He pulled into the parking lot, Jordan popping his head out of the door a second after. His hat fell onto the ground, followed by his phone as he attempted to grab it.
"Gash dernit!" He yelled out, grabbing the items. Aleks walked up to the building, hanging up the call and sliding his phone into his pocket. He flashed a quick sad smile, following Jordan into his apartment.
"Aw, come here." Jordan mumbled, holding his arms out. Aleks gratefully accepted the embrace, the tears beginning to spill again.
"I can't believe he would do that to me.." Aleks muffled into Jordan's shoulder. "I didn't even tell him about... Matt.. yet.." Aleks sighed, sitting on the sofa. "I guess that's a good thing. But then again, maybe it would've made him feel guilty.."
"He probably does feel guilty right now. I saw the way his eyes would light up when he looks at you, Aleks. He's not like Matt." Jordan sat next to the younger, turning towards him.
"Why would he even..? Why would he ask me out when he has a girlfriend? Why would he k-kiss me? Why would he... Oh, God." Aleks buried his face into his hands. "Oh, my god. We-.." Aleks shook his head, unable to even say it. "I-.. I.."
Jordan wrapped his arms around the Russian. "Shh, shh. It's okay, Aleks. It's okay." He whispered, understanding what he was going to say.
"I can't believe he would do something like that.. I can't believe anyone would do something like that.." Aleks sobbed, his tears soaking into Jordan's grey shirt.
Jordan lightly rubbed Aleks' back, comforting him as best as he could.
"Do you want me to call him for you?" Jordan asked. Aleks immediately shook his head no.
"No, no, don't. I'm just.." He paused, his lip quivering. "Nobody." He repeated James' word of choice, sniffling.
"I thought he was going to get mad at me," Aleks continued, "When I showed up unexpectedly. He told me to text or call if I ever wanted to visit. But I didn't. I thought he was gonna.." Aleks took a deep breath, sighing. "I- I thought he was going to h-hit me.. I don't know why... A-after Matt I just.."
Jordan hugged Aleks tighter, patting his back. "I'm not going to let anyone ever hurt you again, Aleks. No one will lay a hand on you. No one."
Aleks sniffled, wiping his eyes and staring blankly at the television screen. "Okay. Thank you, Jordan."
"Do you want something to eat? Maybe hot chocolate?"
Aleks nodded. "Hot chocolate would be nice."
Jordan smiled, pulling the nearby pillow to his friend and the thick white blanket. "Okay, I'll go make some. Lay down, okay?"
Aleks nodded again, curling himself into a small ball as he lied on the sofa, Jordan pulling the blankets over him. Aleks slid his keys and phone from his pockets, placing them on the table. His heart stopped as he noticed all the unread texts. All the missed calls. All the voicemails.
From James.
James.
James.
James.
James.
Aleks clenched his phone, wanting to do nothing but break it. Delete James' number and throw the piece of technology against the wall. But he didn't.

Oh but he wish he had.

Boy, it would have saved him a hell of a lot of trouble.

But he didn't.