Chapter 7

It was Christmas eve. Snow fell thickly outside the manor and the winter wind could be heard crying loudly even from indoors. The temperature had dropped and a blizzard had been predicted in the weather forecast. There was a lot on Jamie's mind. The housemaid's words kept replaying themselves in his head. She had believed, and nothing happened. But they were real. Jamie was so sure of that. He had seen them, felt them, he knew they were real. He longed to see them again, and ask them if they had made allowances for any children.

But there were also other things on his mind, one of them being the Guardian of Fun, who hadn't visited him since their last meeting. Another thing was the blizzard. Was Jack responsible for the blizzard? If there was a blizzard, Jamie wouldn't be able to go down to the little town nearby and the housemaid wouldn't get home to her family for Christmas. Jamie didn't want to spend his Christmas shut inside a gloomy manor with absolutely nothing to do. Even if North came he wouldn't be able to have a conversation with the Guardian, given how busy he was.

The adults were in the reading room where they seem to spend most of their time. Apparently the Bennetts found Mrs. Warren rather interesting and humorous, or so Jamie heard, and they just had so much talking and catching up to do. Sophie was not exactly a good companion either, as she was often too busy playing with toys.

Jamie peered around the door of the reading room, which was slightly ajar. Voices could be heard coming from within it. He was about to enter when he remembered what his aunt thought of children (and even adults) who do not knock before entering a particular room. The 14-year old rapped on the old oak door.

"Jamie Bennett? Well, come on in," came Mrs. Warren's voice. Jamie entered and awkwardly stood in the doorway, facing the three adults who were sitting in chaise armchairs by the fireplace (which wasn't lit).

"What do you want, Jamie?" asked Mrs. Bennett, gently.

My Christmas, Jamie was tempted to answer. Instead he said, "Can I please go to the town nearby? Tonight? And I'll probably return by tomorrow? There's not much to do around here. Please? I'm not going alone, if you were wondering. I'm going with Maeve." He didn't say anything about Christmas.

Mrs. Warren raised an eyebrow. "Maeve? Maeve, as in the housemaid?"

Jamie nodded. "Yeah," he said. "Please?"

"No, Jamie, you might lose your way. And there's an upcoming blizzard, or haven't you heard? Something could happen to you there. The town might not be safe," Mrs. Bennett responded.

"But I'm 14!" Jamie protested. "I can take care of myself."

"But there's going to be a blizzard," said Mr. Bennett. "And old or young, you'll lose your way in that. And I doubt Maeve would be going."

"Well, there isn't exactly anything I can do here!"

"Read a book, play with your sister... there's plenty of things you can do, Jamie," said Mrs. Bennett. "Or you can even join us here."

"No thanks," Jamie replied, slightly bitterly before leaving. He hurried back to his bedroom.

"What's with the gloomy look?"

Jamie looked up and was filled with instant delight upon seeing Jack. The Guardian of Fun stood by the window, leaning against the wall. His staff was propped up against the wall as well.

"Jack! How did you get in?" Jamie inquired, although it didn't really matter. What mattered most was that Jack was here.

"Sophie was in here earlier, and she let me in. I would've come in on my own anyway, this place, in a way is partially mine, too, right?" Jack flashed a mischievous grin.