Chapter 20

"You- what? You already knew?" Jamie spluttered, glaring at his sister. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"That's because I knew you would get all worked up like... right now," Sophie replied, with nonchalance that only angered her brother even more. "Besides, I think it's really up to dad to choose whoever he wants to be and what he wants to do."

Jamie fixed Sophie with a weird look. "You seem to forget the fact that he's your father as well," he said. "You mean, you don't care if he runs off with another woman? Or how upset he made mom? Or how she's now forced to work two jobs a day just to keep us going?"

Sophie rolled her eyes. "You're so good at overreacting, Jamie. Well, no, I have not forgotten that he's my father; I'm 11, not a century-old. Things weren't so good between him and mom, so why bother staying together? Would you like it if mom and dad quarreled and argued each day, like they've got nothing better to do? Don't you think life will be even more miserable? Your anger is clouding your ability to see reason and think properly. At least now dad's happy. For mom... well, she was kinda... I don't really know how to put it."

Jamie scowled. "You'd better tell me everything."

Sophie sighed. "Dad left us with very little. Mom keeps sending the money out to someone. Said she wanted to pay debts or something. I think she really is paying debts, but for someone else. I'm not really sure about that. But it's a lot. She won't tell dad about it, thus their arguments. Anyway, they were already drifting apart, what with dad's 24-hours-a-day job and their inability to communicate and get-along. Dad promised he'll still visit us, though."

"Yeah, and the King is my uncle," Jamie snapped. "He's gone overseas with that lady. Probably won't be back for some time. Why does everyone tell you everything anyway?"

Sophie looked slightly surprised. "Really? He has? Now, that's something no one told me," she said. "People tell me things because I ask and... well, implore, but I acquire most of the information by eavesdropping and being around instead of daydreaming and fantasizing about legends and Guardians."

In that moment of silence, the crunch of gravel from the porch could be heard distinctly, signalling that Mrs. Bennett was home. Sophie shot her brother a smile and resumed eating. Jamie, however, raced up to his bedroom, flung himself onto his bed and buried his face in his pillow. He didn't even notice a certain winter spirit hovering outside his window, watching him.

#

Jamie was walking through a thronged street, the buzz of chatter and rumbling sounds of passing vehicles, and the stench of exhaust filling his senses. It was a warm summer's day and beads of sweat was trickling down the side of his face. He felt weak and tired and all he wanted to do was flop down onto one of the benches at the side and drift off to sleep, but all of them seemed to be occupied by tramps dressed in costumes you would usually see on Mardi Gras.

"Jamie Bennett!"

Jamie turned sharply. He recognised that voice; well, it sounded familiar, but he couldn't quite place it at that moment. However, upon turning, he saw that lady again, and it clicked. He scowled deeply. Why was she calling him? As he watched, a devilish smile creeped onto her face and she suddenly came charging towards him, whizzing through the crowd with ease, her hands outstretched and her nails were growing rapidly into long, sharp talons. Jamie tried to run, but it seemed like his feet had been glued to the ground, and the lady was soon beside him, her hands closing around his neck, the talons digging into his skin, when suddenly he was able to move again. He sprinted through the crowd, passing through everyone. The lady ran after him in hot pursuit. The people around him were melting into shadows as the sun was suddenly blocked out, plunging the place into total darkness, save for the lights from the shops. Jamie looked ahead and recognised the cafe he worked at and rushed into it.