Chapter 35

All three of them jumped at the sound, exchanging glances. "He's looking for me," Jamie mouthed.

Another knock, this time a little impatient. Whoever it was didn't call out or say anything, however.

"Scaredy-cat," Sophie mouthed back, before returning to the book.

Jamie rolled his eyes and strode towards the door, opening it just as there was another knock. Outside stood the burly man he had seen earlier, only he seemed much burlier as he stood before the 19- year old.

"Jamie Bennett?" he asked.

Jamie nodded in response. "And you are?"

The man waved the question away like it was no more than a pesky mosquito. "It doesn't matter. Right now, I want to talk to you." He eyed the other two in the room. "Alone."

Jamie turned to his sister and friend. "Um, maybe you can go back to your room, Sophie," Jamie said. "You can go along, too, Monty. We'll continue playing later."

The two of them exited, as the man entered. He sat himself down on the bed and beckoned for Jamie to do the same. As the boy was taking his seat, the man's startling green eyes fell on the book which Sophie had surprisingly left behind. Their names were so clearly displayed. Jamie could see it sparked the man's interest as he picked it up and scrutinized the front cover.

"Rise of the Guardians," he read out. "And what is that supposed to mean?" Without waiting for a response, he turned to the back of the book and went through the synopsis. When he seemed to have finished, he eyed Jamie curiously. "Was this written by you, boy?"

Jamie nodded. "And it was illustrated by Sophie, my sister," he replied, wondering why this man was treating him like a criminal he was about to question.

"Interesting..." he murmured, as he flipped through the book. "And I suppose, the whole storyline, came from your imaginations, as did the characters?"

Of course not. It all happened about nine years ago in Burgess itself. Jamie wished he could say that, but the man didn't seem to be one who had a sense of humor to laugh it off as just a silly dream neither did he seem the type to believe in fairy tales.

"Yes."

"And you think it is something good?"

Jamie looked surprised. "What do you mean? What's good?"

"Do you think that it's wise for boys your age to fantasise like this?" he asked, his voice all of a sudden taking on a firm tone. "To dream of spirits and characters of old legends? Don't you have anything better to do?"

"The imagination has its own importance," Jamie half-snapped, indignant that this total stranger should just waltz into his room, demand to have a word with him and then insult him. "And you haven't told me who you are. I don't think I want to discuss too much with someone I don't know." That last part came out rather rude, and Jamie wished he could take it back, but the man didn't seem in the least bit bothered.

The man tossed the book back onto the bed and got to his feet. "I've seen enough," he muttered, almost to himself, before turning back to Jamie. "Well, good day." With that, he left the room and shut the door. Heavy footsteps resounded on the stairs once more. Before Jamie could wonder about that queer man, the door creaked open and Sophie and Monty reappeared. Sophie ran up to Jamie and shocked him with a sudden hug.

"What did he say to you?" she asked, releasing him.

"What's up with you?" Jamie asked. "And who was that? Do you know him?"

Sophie had a strange look on her face. Monty crept across the room and began playing another round, occupying himself with the goal of achieving a score that Jamie could never beat even given a week, as he could more or less tell that he wouldn't be welcomed in that current ongoing conversation, as it concerned the family of Bennetts, and had absolutely nothing to do with the latter's friends and acquaintances.

"What did he say to you?" Sophie repeated.

Jamie shrugged. "Asked me if it was wise for boys my age to fantasise and dream up things like this." He held up the book. "And he wouldn't tell me his name." Jamie looked annoyed. "Great, isn't it? We receive a copy of our own book, we're supposed to be completely, utterly thrilled, and then this killjoy came along. How wonderful."

Sophie didn't reply. She gazed out the window absent-mindedly, over Jamie's shoulder. He glanced behind. There was no one at the window. He turned back and waved his hand in his sister's face. "Earth to Sophie. What's up?"

Sophie seemed to snap out of her reverie and return to the present. "Jamie, dad's history."

"What?"

"Dad's history. He left mom."

Jamie scowled slightly. He didn't like it when the subject of his parents' divorce was brought up. And he didn't appreciate anyone talking about his father leaving them either. "Yeah, so what?" he half-snapped. "What's up with you, Sophie?"

"If I tell you something, can you please not tell anyone? And please promise me you won't go stomping down the stairs and yelling at mom and threatening to kill that guy?" Sophie implored.

Monty cleared his throat audibly. "Hey, I think I really have to go now. I'll see you on Tuesday," he said, getting to his feet and turning the game off. Jamie nodded in response. "Right. Tuesday. See you then. I'll see you to the front door."

"No, no, that won't be necessary. I've been here like a zillion times, Jamie, so don't worry about it."

Sophie felt a surge of gratitude towards the bespectacled boy. As soon as Monty was out of the room, Jamie turned his attention back to her. "Of course not. What do you think I am, crazy? Spit it out already!"

"Mom and that guy... they're getting married. Like, next week or something."

#

Jack froze the last water pipe and flew up to the telegraph wires where he began to walk along, frost swirling over the plastic coating. The sky was already dark and he was looking out for trails of Dreamsand. His thoughts wandered over to the Bennett siblings as he flew up to a roof. He was in the eastern part of the earth at that moment, so back in Burgess, it was probably morning or nearing noon. It had been about a week since the winter spirit had last seen Jamie, as the boy was rarely home, and Jack couldn't spend all his time searching for him.

The spirit's mind then wandered over to the conversation he had had with North a few days back. The other spirit had advised him to let go. To let go of Jamie. He was too attached. And it wasn't good for a spirit to get too attached to a certain child. Besides, Jamie wasn't a child anymore. Jack found it impossible to let go; after all, Jamie was his first believer. The other Guardians' first believers were all probably gone by now. Jack shuddered at the thought that one day Jamie, too, will fade from the world. Though he was a spirit, Jack doubted he would see the boy again after the latter's death. But at the moment, he didn't want to think about it.

Jamie was almost a grown-up. He spent more time away from home than he had ever done in his life. Jack knew he wouldn't possibly stop believing after all those years, but he was getting too matured for his liking. The winter spirit chided himself for being so selfish, as he watched trails of Dreamsand snaking their way across the sky and through windows of bedrooms where kids slept peacefully. "Right on time, Sandman," he murmured.

And Bunnymund. He still paid Sophie visits, though not as frequent as the ones Jack paid Jamie, and every Easter, he would save one special egg for her. He gave her painting lessons a couple of years back. But Bunnymund was one of those lucky spirits who only had to work one night a year. The months spent in the Warren painting eggs didn't count. Plus, those eggs paint themselves, don't they?

Jack soared to a higher roof and basked in the winter wind for a few moments. He wondered if he should return to Burgess. It was Saturday, and there was a high possibility Jamie was out with his friends again. But he could also be home...

Jack pushed away all thoughts and allowed the wind to carry him back to Burgess. This was a much cooler, literally and not, way to travel, compared to the Easter Kangaroo's tunnels, thought the winter spirit, with a mischievous smile. The slight warmth of the sun greeted him as he arrived and he landed on the roof of the Bennetts' house.

Jack peeked into the window. Jamie had his back to him, but the boy was there. Sophie sat opposite him, and the expression on her face told Jack something was up. He was about to tap on the window when Sophie happened to look up and spot him.