Chapter 37

Jamie and Sophie sat in an ominous silence, often exchanging glances. Sitting opposite both of them was their mother whom they hadn't seen that happy since a surprise birthday party for her which their father threw once upon another time. And of course, there was that soon-to-be-stepfather, who had an affable smile on his face as he and Mrs. Bennett conversed. Jamie couldn't help wishing that their food would arrive that instant so they could just eat and head home. He cast a sideways glance at Sophie, who looked as black as thunder, but the two adults at the table seemed oblivious to it, wrapped up in their own conversation. He couldn't blame her. Apparently, their mother's boyfriend had suggested sending her off to a preparatory school to improve her conduct and instil moral values. Sophie had never felt so insulted.

"You know, maybe you should just..." Jamie began, in a whisper, to his sister, but was immediately interrupted.

"Jamie Bennett, do not whisper. I suppose you have no problem in communicating normally?" snapped the burly guy, whose name had not been revealed to them yet. And by the looks of it, it might not be revealed anytime soon.

"I'm not even allowed to whisper at the table?" he asked, but that was a mistake.

Mrs. Bennett's eyebrows furrowed into a small frown, but Burly Guy's formed a huge scowl. "Perhaps I should ask you to leave the table," he snapped, glaring at Jamie.

The 19- year old was about to retort, when he caught his mother's eye. She seemed to glance at him pleadingly despite her small frown, and he kept his mouth shut, watching as they resumed their conversation like nothing had happened.

It seemed like an eternity before their food finally arrived. The waiter appeared to be moving in slow motion as he set the filled plates on the table. Jamie was about to tuck in instantly as his was set before him, but a direct glare from Burly Guy stopped him. Jamie scowled. What was his problem?

Once the waiter had cleared off only were they allowed to touch their food. Sophie ate one portion of her pasta before dropping her fork with a clatter. "I'm not hungry," she announced, pushing her plate away, before getting to her feet and leaving the table. Jamie noticed she headed in the direction of the bathroom.

"Look at that!" Burly Guy stated, turning partially to Mrs. Bennett, his other eye on the door leading to the restrooms Sophie had disappeared through. "What did I say about poor manners and conduct? Surely you do not think she does not need to be sent off to Ingram Prep?"

Mrs. Bennett looked concerned and worried. "But you do know that at that school, they're pretty... militaristic."

Burly Guy waved the statement away. "Yes, and that's how the students are reformed! Sophie would benefit greatly. She'll be a changed person at the end of the term, I'm sure of it!"

Jamie had a feeling that this soon-to-be father of theirs was not in the least bit concerned about Sophie's behaviour. Well, perhaps a tiny bit. But he just seemed to be interested in getting rid of her. And he couldn't help wondering. Would he be next?

"Maybe I should go after her," he said, about to get up.

"There's no need for that, young man," said the guy. "She's probably just gone to relieve herself. Sit down, sit down."

Jamie reluctantly sat back down, certain Sophie had not gone to the bathroom just to relieve herself. He slowly ate, watching the door and the two adults. He had almost finished eating and Sophie had not returned.

Jamie put down his fork firmly and got to his feet. "I'm going after her," he said, hoping his sister had not done anything rash. He walked off before either one of them could stop him and hurried through the door. Beyond we're the bathrooms. He peeked into the female lavatory and noted that it was empty. Most of the cubicles were, too, save for one.