Chapter 63

He possessed perpetually dishevelled hair and seemed to be always dressed in the same old t-shirt that probably had not seen a washing machine in months. He ate sloppily and appeared rather uncouth. He seemed to have been born with eyebrows that were furrowed giving the impression of an everlasting frown and whenever he smiled, which was almost always at that time, it made him look evil and gave everyone around him the creeps.

Yet Sophie was completely, hopelessly, madly in love with him.

Jamie stood several feet away from the front door, looking up at the log cabin, admiring it. It was definitely home away from home material. What was more significant, however, was the location. Jamie turned and had a perfect view of the lake, it's waters glistening in the crimson light of the setting sun. The trees around swayed gently, their leaves rustling in the summer breeze. It was very fortunate that one of his books had managed to hit bestseller status and his pay checks displayed six-figure digits which he saved every year till he could afford the land. The mayor had had plans to cover up the lake and clear the woods and build resorts, which left Jamie appalled. The log cabin had been his mother's suggestion, and secretly, wish, and though he didn't fully approve, he had had it built. The pond was a special place. And not just because of all the fun he had had with his friends skating there. It was the home of one of his closest friends. Though also his death spot. And the idea of it disappearing beneath a concrete jungle was too much to bear.

A ringing sound shattered the silence and Jamie plunged his hand into his pocket and withdrew a vibrating cellphone with 'MOM' on the screen. Hitting the answer button, Jamie braced himself for the torrent of questions that was yet to come.

"Are you still at the university? Are they keeping you back? When will you be home?"

So much for his status as a best-selling author and university professor. He couldn't even liberate himself from his mother as many of his friends had already done with their own parents. However, it hadn't been in his best interest and it had been part of a deal he had struck with Sophie concerning the well-being of Mrs. Bennett while they were busy with their own lives.

"Don't you fret, mom, I'll be home soon," Jamie assured her, but knew verbal assurance never worked anymore. "I'll be in time for the dinner, so don't you worry. I'm just inspecting the cabin. It's amazing." He hurriedly changed the subject. It was just like Sophie to choose the ungodly hour of 7 o' clock in the evening for her wedding reception, a time when Jamie had to return home and start preparing the following day's lesson. It had been different that day, on which Jamie was free, but it was still a rather inconvenient time.

"Well, I look forward to seeing it! But come home, now, if need to get you fitted!" Mrs. Bennett responded before hanging up without waiting for a response. Jamie grimaced as he strode towards the car parked a short distance away, thinking of tuxedos and the nightmares that came with them. And it was just like Sophie to demand a formal dressing code for her reception.

The house had never looked so festive since Jamie's 10th birthday. Laughter and chatter could be heard emanating from it as he neared the front door, something that was almost foreign to the place. Halting in his tracks, Jamie changed his mind and rounded the house, stooping beneath windows as he made his way to the back door. The idea of facing Sophie's loud friends which she had met in university didn't sound at all appealing. Especially since they all fancied him. As his hand rested on the doorknob, Jamie turned and glanced wistfully at a patch of grass in a corner of the backyard, where they had buried Abby when she died of old age.

"You're finally home," Mrs. Bennett remarked as Jamie entered the kitchen, where his mother was on one of her off-days, leaning against the counter, merely watching the bride and her bridesmaids watching and re-watching the taped wedding ceremony that morning.

"There's still, like, three more hours. And Sophie's not even ready yet!" Jamie gestured towards the living room. "Why should I be?"

Mrs. Bennett sighed. "Just run up to your room, I've set it out for you."

With breakneck speed, Jamie dashed into the living room and tried to run up the stairs as quickly and silently as possible, hoping no one would acknowledge his presence. Unfortunately, however, several greetings were thrown at him, which he merely responded to with a wave. Stumbling onto the second-floor landing, he flung himself into his room and locked the door.

"You know, I actually it will look good on you."

The 35- year old jumped, startled, and turned to see his old friend perched on the edge of his cluttered desk, smirking the same way he had been doing all those years. The grimace on his face morphed into a grin.

"It's great to see you again, Jack." Sure, it had only been a couple of days, but in recent times, Jamie had been so preoccupied with real life he had hardly any time for his daydreams and fantasies. Sophie had been away from home most of the time, busy constructing her own life, and they rarely communicated, save for when necessary. Though everyone knew it was impossible, Jamie feared he would eventually stop believing, like most adults do, and wished the winter spirit to be there all the time, though it just could not happen.

Jack leaped lightly off the desk and landed by the bed, prodding the suit with the end of his staff. "It'll be actually quite fun to watch you prance around in this tonight," he stated.

"I'm not going to prance around," Jamie responded, picking up the suit by its hanger, ringing his thumb and forefinger around the plastic hook as though it was a piece of dirt. "Anyway, is he going to be there later?" He was referring to a certain rabbit who had been quite devastated when Sophie fell in love. It wasn't as though he had harboured romantical feelings for her, but Bunnymund had feared Sophie would change. She definitely had, though she still believed in the Guardians.

Jack shrugged. "I doubt it, though I don't think Sophie is going to be too pleased if he doesn't. North, however, is more than happy to be present. He even wants the young man- what was his name, John?- to go over to the North Pole for Christmas this year, with the rest of you Bennetts."

"He probably doesn't believe," answered Jamie. "And honestly? I don't like him. Neither does mom." Jamie frowned slightly. "But Sophie is so convinced, we just can't help but concede and give her our blessings. So please, tell North to do nothing of that sort."

Jack didn't give an immediate reply, so Jamie excused himself, took a bath and changed into the nightmarish suit. "I was right, it does look good on you," Jack commented, with a heavy smirk. Jamie merely sighed and shook his head as he combed through his hair. The winter spirit couldn't help feeling a tad disappointed; Jamie was hardly ever pessimistic. For the past 10 years, he had had to endure such periods from time to time from his first believer. He could get used to the new, matured appearance, but he hoped the fun-loving, bright, optimistic boy he knew wouldn't take the same path all adults his age.

"Jamie."

"Huh?"

"Look at me."

Jamie turned, slightly startled at the unfamiliar note of urgency in Jack's voice. Their eyes met. "What is it?"

"You won't change, will you?" Jack's smirk had vanished, and in its place was a look of concern and was there a little... fear? For one moment, Jamie could not comprehend it, and then he understood.

"Of course not," he reassured the winter spirit, as he paused in buttoning up the wrists of the coat. "Of course not," he repeated, though this time it was almost to himself, almost as though he was trying to convince himself he wouldn't change. "I won't," he said, firmly, after a short period of silence, and resumed getting dressed. "I'm not like Sophie, remember?" He gave a weak smile.

Jack returned it with a small, unconvinced one, before walking towards the window. "I'll see you later, then?"

Jamie nodded. "Definitely. Sophie will be glad. Just try not to freeze everything when you get there." He chuckled feebly.

A young Jamie would've loved the fun and exhilaration a sudden blizzard erupting in the middle of a hall during a wedding reception brought. Jack cast one look at the adult before taking off out of the window, slightly crestfallen.

A/N: I was supposed to update during the weekend, but I fell ill, so, I apologise for being late. And no, this story is not yet over. :-P

As you probably noticed, I've skipped about 10-12 years between the previous chapter and this. Didn't want to bore everyone with the details. :-P