Chapter 43

Jack flew in the direction of the pounding sound, halting as it ceased momentarily. He hoped he hadn't imagined it, as he strained his ears to try to pick up on it again. A while later, it began again.

"Jamie?" he yelled.

"Jack?"

Jack's heart leapt in his chest. It was faint, but he was sure it was Jamie. He followed the pounding sound and wound up at the right warehouse, where he could see the silhouette of a teenage boy in the darkness.

"Jack!" Jamie called, glancing upwards, looking happier than all the children on Christmas put together. His voice was muffled but he was yelling with all the energy he could muster. "Can you please get me out of here?"

Jack gestured to Jamie to wait as he flew towards the front door. A large rusty padlock hung on it. The winter spirit coated it with ice and with one swift movement of his staff, the ice was smashed along with the metal. The sound resonated throughout the deserted street. He fumbled with the latch before throwing the door open. Instantly, Jamie rushed out.

"Fresh air!" he gasped, in a hoarse voice, taking in deep breaths of the night air. Jack couldn't help but gape at Jamie's condition.

"You look..." he began.

Jamie turned to Jack. "Like hell?" he offered.

Jack surveyed the boy. His face had a mixture of dirt, blood and sweat on it, there was a huge lump protruding from the side of his head, his clothes were equally dirty and bloody. His wrists were red and judging from the way he was moving, he had broken his arm.

"Yeah... pretty much," the winter spirit responded. The more he looked at Jamie, the more he felt guilty. He was supposed to be a Guardian, one who protects children. Jamie was not a child anymore (children-at-hearts don't really count), that went without a doubt, but Jack had always felt obliged to protect Jamie and his family. And seeing Jamie like that, he knew he had failed this time.

But the boy looked happy and was even laughing, though his laughter sounded more like one of utter relief. "I need to get to mom and Sophie. Do you know where they are?"

"I think they went out for dinner," Jack said. "I don't know where, though. Are you fit to fly?"

Jamie glanced down at his broken arm. "I'm not sure, but let's give it a shot."

#

"Yeow!" The wind tugged relentlessly at Jamie's arm. "Jack, I think you should put me down now," the boy called out.

The spirit lowered Jamie to the ground in a back alley. Fortunately as it was dark out save for the lights from the street lamps and several shops, no one saw Jamie floating in the air.

"Thanks, Jack," the 19- year old said, leaning against the wall. "Maybe I'll take a cab or bus home or something." He rummaged about in his pocket before pulling out several crumpled notes. "I guess those thugs weren't interested in money," he said, before walking to the end of the alley. He came out onto a sidewalk lined with shops. People hurried along, walking in and out of the stores, completely oblivious to the presence of a blood-streaked teenager standing between a convenience store and a bakery. Jamie dashed into the bakery which seemed to be serving less customers than the convenience store, startling the cashier who let out a little scream. "I'm sorry," he quickly said, before heading to the back of the shop. "I'm just going to use your bathroom."

He found the bathroom and wasted no time in dousing his face with water, but not before checking out his appearance in the mirror. "I look like a devil from Hades," he concluded. He washed his wounds and tried to clean himself up as much as possible with one hand. Once he was satisfied with his appearance, he turned to head out, and found the cashier staring at him.