Chapter 49

"Everyone is required to just stay put..." The next line was unheard as there was a burst of static.

It was all very solemn in the Bennett household. The day was darkening, and the huge amount of snow was almost fading out of sight, but it was still there, steadily filling Burgess. Mrs. Bennett sat in the living room, her back hunched, her hands clasped and wore a grim expression. Mrs. Warren was worried, though she was much more worried about the blizzard. Jamie had gone back up to his room, watching the rising snow level, constantly checking his cell phone for any signs of reception. There was none, and he couldn't get through to Sophie. She hadn't taken along hers anyway. It was already past six o' clock, and the snowfall didn't seem like it was going to stop at any moment. Jamie was hoping for Jack, but there wasn't any sign of a visit from the winter spirit. He hurried downstairs and flopped onto the seat beside his mother.

"Any news?" Mrs. Bennett asked, not looking up. Jamie shook his head.

"Oh, don't you worry about it," Mrs. Warren spoke up. "The snow plows will soon be doing their work, hopefully, and your daughter will be back in no time." Her voice was laced with doubt. A moment later, not wanting to give her sister false hope, she continued, "Though I'm not so sure about that, the snow looks pretty deep."

Jamie glared at his aunt before leaving the room, irritated. As he passed through the kitchen, a strong blast of wind rattled the windows. Walking towards one of them in the semi-darkness of the kitchen, he looked out, feeling the cold emanating from the glass, very much like the chill Jack radiated. For a moment, he didn't think of any of the Guardians, just about Sophie. She had to still be in school. He hoped she hadn't taken the bus or something, for they would probably be stuck in the snow. Jamie shuddered at the thought of his sister trapped in a bus in the middle of town, constantly being snowed on. If she was still in the high school, things should be fine; after all, there was heating and lights. It was almost like home, only not home.

#

Sophie closed her eyes for a few seconds, envisioning Bunnymund in her mind and wondering if she could communicate with him via ESP. If she could, would he hop along and whisk her out of this nightmare? What about the other five kids who were with her? After all, teenagers were children who just didn't believe anymore.

"I'm heading out to get help," announced the history teacher, finally putting down his paper. The other students sat up and exchanged glances as the teacher pulled on a parka and zipped it up, before attempting to open the double glass doors leading out of the school. He had to kick and push several times before it finally opened, and with "all of you, stay put", he walked out into the storm. The door slammed shut behind him, spraying snow into the hallway. Sophie felt sick just watching it.

"Think he'll actually get help?" asked her friend, who checked her cellphone one more time only to be disappointed. The five of them were still there, seated, waiting, for what, they didn't know. Vehicles that would never come in this snow? They were all getting restless, constantly walking over to the windows to check if there were any approaching vehicles. The snow was piling up against the glass and Sophie entertained herself by watching it rise.

"Nah, he'll probably get to the nearest shelter and abandon us here," spoke one of the students, who sat on her friend's other side. "You know what? Maybe one of us should go out there and look for help, too. You can't trust that guy. I mean, how cold can it be? How much deeper can the snow be?"

Sophie pointed at the dark silhouette against the glass. "You mean that? Well, I think it rose about one feet in the past half hour. Why don't you go out, then, since you were the one who suggested it?"

Silence fell upon the little group. No one wanted to go out there in the bitter cold. It was not like they had much on, anyway. No one had expected such a snowfall in Burgess. It had never happened before.

Finally, the boy who had spoken, got to his feet and pulled on his jacket. "I'm going," he said. "I don't live very far from here, so perhaps I could get home. And maybe get help for you guys."

"Don't be stupid, Ryan!" called another kid. "You could get killed out there! This is no joke! Just sit down, and wait for it! We were supposed to stay put, weren't we?"

"I'm not going to just wait around and do nothing," the boy replied. "Plus, this snow seems pretty bearable for now. Might as well do something before it's too much." Without another word, he headed towards the glass doors, and with the same effort as the history teacher, he finally pushed it open and walked out, all four pairs of eyes on him. He turned momentarily and waved before disappearing into the darkness. Silence reigned once more.

"I'm hungry," complained one of the kids, breaking the silence after what seemed like an eternity. "We've been here for like hours!" The clock on the wall showed that it was already eight. Everyone had given up hope that their parents or any of the buses were going to be along at any moment. Perhaps they might show up the next day. Perhaps, by then, the snow would've cleared. Perhaps the history teacher or their friend would actually have gotten help and they would all be rescued the next day. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

"There's food in the cafeteria," Sophie's friend replied, nonchalantly, finally resorting to playing games on her cellphone to kill time and boredom. Sophie dug around in her bag, trying to find something to do the same and as her fingers brushed the spine of a book, she felt a little relieved. At least she wouldn't just sit around, listening to the others whine and complain. She pulled it out and was in time to see that it was Jamie's book, before the power went out.

Thanks for reading and please review!