16 | act of innocence

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

        ACT OF INNOCENCE

     Jennifer Blake hastily slid open the door to Derek's loft, anxiety coursing through her veins. She hurried down the few steps that led to the first floor, her black wedged clicking and clacking as she took every step. "Derek?" The brunette called out, her wide eyes scouting all around the darken loft, "Derek, where are you?"

     "Right here." Derek called back, causally walking into the loft. 

     Jennifer let out a gasp of relief, "Thank God." She quickly walked over and wrapped her arms around his neck as Derek returned the hug, sliding his arms around her thin frame. "Something happened at the recital. At the school. Okay, I need to tell you before you hear it, before you hear any of it from them."

     "From who?" He questioned with confusion.

     "Scott, Stiles, Clara. They're gonna tell you things. Things you can't believe. You have to trust me, okay? You trust me." The evident desperation in Jennifer's voice was trying to lure Derek into her trap, make him turn his back on the others. 

     "What is it?"

     Jennifer continued, still faking the look of distress on her face. "Promise you'll listen to me."

     Derek nodded, his voice soft and calm. "I promise."

      For a moment, a small smile of reassurance grew on Jennifer's cheery red lips, before she kissed Derek on the kiss, hoping that this innocent facade of hers was enough to convince him. But after a few seconds of silence and their non-breaking kiss, Jennifer sensed that Derek was holding back. Finally, she put two and two together and opened her eyes, slowly pulling away from their kiss. "They're already here, aren't they?"

     Once Derek's stare lifted from Jennifer and towards the back of the room, Jennifer followed and looked behind her shoulder, watching as the trio of high school students rounded the corner and came out of the shadows. Both Scott and Clara stood a foot or two in front of Stiles, distance between them if Jennifer was going to attack again. Clara stood bold and tall, an emotionless expression painted on her face. She was coming face to face with the women who's murdered innocent people, attempted to kill Lydia, and kidnapped the man she considered a father. It took a lot of strength to conceal all the rage and murderous anger that Clara felt. 

     "So, they told you it was me?" The brunette asked, putting on a mask of innocence and hurt. Clara only hoped in her heart that Derek would chose her and the two other people who have always stood with him. She hoped he would trust her over Jennifer. "That I'm the one taking people."

     "We told him you're the one killing people." Scott snapped back, hatefully narrowing his eyes at the women across from him.

     "Oh, that's right!" Jennifer scoffed at the accusation, still not willing to put up the white flag and give up her shameless feigning of pureness. "Committing human sacrifices? What, cutting their throats? Yeah, I probably do it on my lunch hour. That way, I can get back to teaching high school English the rest of the day. That makes perfect sense."

     It was Stiles' turn to step up and face the killer who had stolen his father, the only family member he had left. With sadness plunging into his swollen heart, tears heavily built up in his brown eyes, a single streak dripping down his cheek. "Where's my dad?" 

     Clara felt her chest clench after hearing Stiles' broken voice. It hurt her so damn much to hear his pain and literally, feel his pain. But Stiles' sadness and plea for his father was just building up Clara's wrath for the women in front of Derek.