XXXI

Caroline's POV

After the funeral I took Nik home and tried to comfort him and making him stop blaming himself, unfortunately I didn't succeeded in that task.

"Nik, you didn't knew this was going to happen" I tried.

"I should have known. I knew it was dangerous but let him stay with me either way. I am the one who should have died." He said the last sentence to himself.

"Niklaus Mikaelson, don't ever say that again. I can't even imagine my life without you by my side." I said and he gave me weak smile for a few seconds and quickly vanished.

"I am not worth of anyone's love, specially yours... You are such a unique woman with so many qualities and you deserved someone so much better then me, a simple man who wasn't able to protect his young brother." He said.

"Don't say those things. You are an amazing man and you cannot imagine how happy I feel everyday when I woke up next to you, even after all this time, I think I love you even more by each day that it pass. You did have no way to protect your brother."

"How do you know? You weren't there."

"It's truth, I wasn't. However, I know you well enough to know that you weren't capable of letting Henrik die without trying to stop it. You are not responsible for what happened. It was an accident." I said and gave him a kiss on his cheek.

"You can't responsible anyone for what happened. Life has this horrible things, where you lose people you care about but in these moments you can just stay sad and feel sorry about yourself or hold in your memories that you have of them. Henrik might not be with us right now but he is in our hearts. Believe me, he still is much alive as long as you have him in your heart, he will always be with you, on your memories." I said and he hugged me.

"Please, promise me you won't die before me." He asked me when he broke the hug.

"Nik, that is not something I can promise. I can't control that." I said with a sad smile.

"I beg you Caroline. I can't even picture my life without you... I need you to make me that promise." He said with those vulnerable eyes.

"I promise." I said, I know it's wrong promise something so big like this but it was the only thing I could say to make him feel a little better. I knew it didn't ease the pain of Henrik's death but I could see it was what Niklaus needed to hear right now.

Esther's POV

When I got home after getting out of Ayanna's house, I opened the book and after the longest minutes of my life I found the Immortality Spell, and it was there what were the requirements to be able to do the spell, I had to have the power of the sun, the power of the very powerful tree in our village, the White Oak Tree, the blood of a doppelgänger aka Tatia Petrova and we had to drink someone's entire blood to conclude the transition.

After I make Tatia give me some of her blood in order to make a spell to protect my loved ones, or she thought it was just that... I went back home and start to chanting some Latin words while using power of the White Oak Tree and Sun putting Tatia's blood mixed with wine that I will be serving at dinner and I'm another bottle of wine where was also a little of Tatia's blood, I took it to Niklaus but who opened the door was Caroline.

"Oh... I was expecting to have Niklaus answer the door..." I said.

"I'm sorry. I finally get him to drink some tea and fell asleep. Would you like me to give him a message for you or..?" She asked with a kind smile but she had sadness in her eyes like everyone of our family. She was very closed to our family but I couldn't turn her without making her losing the baby, my future grandchild and I couldn't do that.

"I was just here to give Niklaus a bottle of wine and ask if he would like to go have dinner with me, Mikael and his siblings."

"I make sure he will get that." She said then added "I know that we got distant since Nik found it about his biological father being Ansel but I wanted to ask you if there is anything I could do to ease the pain, even if it's just a little."

"Just don't get out of my son's side. He needs to have someone who takes care of him right now..." I said and she nodded with a small smile, I gave her the bottle and got back home.