Seventeen: first kiss and weaponized

Mia's P.O.V:

"But mom, I swear my phone went out of battery, you can't ground me!"

I had stuck to Chris' excuse.

"You can't disappear like that, Mia. You're not going anywhere for three weeks. You come to school and back home and that's it."

"Dad!" I whined, hoping my father would support me.

"You heard your mother," he sighed. "We were all worried about you."

I sighed in frustration.

"Fine, whatever"

I was not going to school and back home. I had to find a way to help Liam in everything I could. At the moment, it didn't matter that my parents were going to be really mad at me for sneaking out or coming home really late.

I turned on the TV and watched an episode of The Vampire Diaries and for the first time I wondered if vampires were real.

Maybe if I ever saw Chris Argent again, I could ask him.

I looked at the clock; it was close to midnight.

My phone went off; it was a call from Liam.

"Hey, puppy," I said, lying back in my bed.

"Hey, anchor," he said with tiredness. "Can I ask you a favour?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

"Can you sneak out and climb to the roof?"

"What?" Why would he even want me to do that?

"Open your window, climb to the roof. It's not that hard."

I had done that before. Sometimes I like to watch the stars...I don't know, I find it peaceful.

"Give me a second," I said, hanging up the phone.

I opened my window and made my way out of it and into the roof with ease.

There he was, Liam Dunbar showered and dressed up in dark jeans and a denim jacket. I made my way towards him, sitting right beside him.

"How long have you been here?" I ask him.

"Long enough to encourage myself to call you; besides, I didn't want to interrupt your show. You know there's no such a thing as vampires, right?"

"You know there's no such a thing as werewolves," I said.

Liam smiled, looking up at the sky.

"I just wanted to say thank you," he said, looking at me. "You saved me."

I shrugged. "Scott did."

"No, I mean...Mia; I know you were in the woods looking for me. I heard you call my name. I was desperate until I heard you."

"Well, isn't that kind of my job?" I tried to joke.

"Yeah, I guess. I'm still not sure how this whole anchor thing works, but I'm glad it did today."

Liam passed an arm around my back, pulling me closer to him as I rested my head in his shoulder.

"I'm so happy that you're okay. I was so scared...I didn't want to find you dead, you know? I was afraid it'd be too late and I had no clue of what to do."

He looked down at me; our faces were really close by now.

Everything happened in slow motion; he taking a strand of hair out of my face, lifting my chin up, closing his eyes and leaning in.