Chapter Eighteen

Waking up from a full nights sleep always leaves a refreshed feeling upon a person. Waking up next to Justin after a nights sleep without a nightmare always gave me a content feeling, but since my mothers death I don't think I have felt this revitalized. I slowly stretched the muscles in my legs and arms, feeling the light cracks and pulls a thought came to me. I haven't gone for a run, just for the fun of it for weeks. Getting out of bed, carefully not to wake Justin up I slipped out of his room and into mine to get dressed and go for a run.

Stepping outside to hear the birds sing their morning songs and the sunshine down on me, it felt like the world wanted me to have this run just for me. shaking my arms and legs to warm them up I started a light jog down the street. I felt at peace with the world as my light jog turned into a sprint and as the suns rays hit my back and the light breeze brushed around me I had the sudden urge to break out in song praising the Gods for such a magnificent morning run this was.

Pushing my body faster the memories from last night hit me head on. Justin could be so sweet and last night only proved that fact. But I couldn't help the suspicious feelings I had towards him, some of his words from when I first moved in crept into my mind. "Maybe messing around in my bed could cheer you up, because you look like a girl in need of a good fuck." "Come on Gabby, wake up and smell the roses! Your life sucks, your mam just died, your dad doesn't know nor care about you and you have to start all over again in life with new people and surroundings. Here I am a perfectly hot guy, willing to help you find happiness here and help set you up. Take a look at me; you cant turn this body down." "Well, I accept this challenge and trust me when I say I will succeed and make you scream my name."

Maybe this nice guy attitude he had going was just an act? Maybe he was just doing this to 'succeed' for whatever challenge he had set for himself. I couldn't accept that though, being the typical teenage girl I wanted to believe Justin has changed and has developed feelings for me; like I have for him. Shaking my head, I focused on the positive things in my life and continued my run.

***

Bursting through the front door, I limped into the kitchen for a big glass of water. I was exhausted from running for God knows how long, my legs felt like they were going to drop off and my throat was as desiccated as the sand in the hottest desert. Leaning against the kitchen island I drank the glass of water without once coming up for air. I could hear a light chuckle from someone beside me and when I placed the glass down, I looked over to the person laughing. My father had a mug of coffee in his hand and had the first smile I'd ever seen him wear on his face.

"Um, hey?" I felt uncomfortable over the fact he was laughing at me seconds before. "You sound tongue tied Gabriel, is it something I said or haven't said?" I was shocked; he was actually trying to make conversation with me! "I was just... curious as to why you were laughing before?" It came out like a question and my voice was surprisingly weak and small. My father raised the mug to his mouth and took a small sip before answering my question. "You were panting like you hadn't stopped running for hours on end and you looked like my sister... Your aunt I suppose. She never stopped her running, even when she got ill." A look of sadness crossed his face and I felt guilty for asking but I couldn't help the question that came out of my mouth. "What happened to her?" Dad took another sip of his coffee, "She was diagnosed with bone cancer and the disease finally took her away last year." "Oh I am sorry! I shouldn't have asked."

"Don't be silly Gabriel! Now onto more important topics, I hear you got into the boys basketball team at school. I don't want that silly sport taking over your schooling do you hear? Spring break is coming up in a week or so and with that the teachers will tell me how you are doing. If your grades aren't up to my standards I will pull you out of the team, now go do some sort of school work."