08; grey eyes and misty skies

08; Grey eyes and misty skies

"I came for my baby brother," Scarlet seethed through clenched teeth, stalking slowly towards Melody. "I'm sure as hell not leaving here without him."

Her biological mother menacingly chuckled, showing her sharp jewels that dazzled in her mouth. "It's funny how you can pick up a scent and just," Melody stopped for a partial second to connect her fingers together, "snap and find yourself in their path."

"He's just a child."

Her gaze fell into a questionable fake sense of something, a false pretense of new thought, but everyone in the room could tell that Scarlet was to utter those words sooner or later.

Melody traced around her in a dark, eery motion, dragging her heels to spark against the wood. "And you're not? You're only a year older."

"You're only forty eight, but you look eighty. Tell me-"

"No," Melody bellowed in Scarlet's face, sending wind to whistle around them, a dark spin of light dirt clouding in their midst. "I give the orders."

Melody narrowed her eyes at one of the children she gave birth to, settling her eyes to peer down into her daughter's blue orbs. "I can't see anything."

"Excuse me," the snowy blonde snarled, a sass like no other zapping from her tongue and striking around them with actual rumbles of thunder.

"They say the eyes are the windows to your soul. I don't see a goddamned thing."

Melody took a step back in artificial fear, the wind coming to a startling halt. The debris landed back onto the ground, and with little clatters to echo in the abandoned house.

Scarlet pretended to be scared, acted as though she thought that was real. If Scarlet didn't have a heart, the dark magic that would replace her purple irises with a steel gray, and the consequences would be dire.

She even made her heartbeat blip up a bit on command to justify it all, just as a safety precaution.

"I believe I'm here to retrieve something."

Scarlet followed the small bounce of sneakers, making her heeled wedges patter in a soft reflection of sound. There, she found her brother biting his lip and tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

She squeezed his shoulder, and thought of her own apartment, before teleporting to her room. The duo landed safely in her living room, and the boy appeared to be in shock.

Sitting him down to the couch, she brushed back wet hairs that had clumped on his forehead.

A sudden sadness hit her as if someone smacked her in the ribs with a baseball bat.

She hurried to grab large blankets from the closet and a pillow from the spare room, toddling over to the furniture where her baby brother sat there, staring at the bare wall.

Touching his sweaty wrists, a river of chills fell down her body, making her shiver.

Moving her hands from his inner arms and towards his cheeks, she peered into his glossy white eyes. His entire eyeball had turned white, meaning he had been talking to the dead.

"Okay, Jamie, if you can hear me, come back to me. I just want you James, not anyone else, alright. Don't bring anyone with you. Come back to me."

She chanted that for a while, continuing to stare into his connected sockets. She didn't move at all. Sometimes, her voice cracked because it wasn't working, but it had began to seem clear- if she didn't believe that this would work anymore, than who would?

Then, a hoarse coughing erupted from the back of his throat, coughing up dark crimson liquid onto his hands. His eyes rejuvenated with his natural color, and his face began to show more signs of hope.

He opened his mouth to speak, but drool dripped out in an ugly manner.

"It's okay. I'll go get you a trash can. You're lucky; I just did the trash so it'll be clean."

She hurried to grab the bathroom bin, placing it beside him.

"I don't know the specifics, but I found you like this. I won't bug you now, but get some rest."

"How..." he croaked, trying to find his voice, "how long?"

"You were gone for three days, and I was gone for two. I'll call the school and inform them that we'll be taking sick days."

"Thank..."

Scarlet noticed that he was struggling to find his speech, and quickly acted up that in a way that she found fitting.

"Here, just- just lay on your side, put the covers on, or get changed first- I don't know. Um, do you want a movie?"

He nodded.

She licked her lips in desperation, trying to get the boy to do as little work as possible. She knew from experience that an action like that took a lot from you, nearly draining you of everything.

"I got all the Austin Powers movies, American Pie set, the first season of Grey's Anatomy, James Bond, or-"

He nodded at the tv show, as Scarlet was just noticing, and she stopped rambling, trying to get a hold of herself. She grabbed the hidden DVDs, and placed them in the side of the television, setting up for it to play.

Before she could even hit the button to fast forward through the previews, the blonde heard soft snores coming from behind her.

Scarlet hurried to the kitchen, her eyes not leaving the boy with sandy blonde hair once, and quickly made a pot of coffee.

She wasn't letting him out of her sight for a long while. Not even willing to fall asleep or go to school. As much as she was fond of her friends, they would have to wait, because her brother was all she had.

And she was determined to keep him.