Chapter 4: Journey West

At dawn the next morning, Gandalf, the hobbits, Aragorn, Eldarion, Faramir, Legolas, Haldir, and Gimli traveled west to the Shire.
They could all agree that the journey was nice since they didn't have to worry about orcs, Nazgul, or anyone trying to hunt them.
They traveled at a leisurely pace, talking and laughing with one another.
But Aragorn noticed that Frodo seemed more distant from the others; he didn't speak unless he was spoken to, and when he laughed it didn't seem real.
Sam had noticed too but he hadn't said anything, not even when the company reached Rivendell.

Originally after Elrohir left Mirkwood he had tried to resettle in Rivendell, but the memories had been too much for him.
But he had rebuilt Rivendell just in case weary travelers needed to stay there. It was empty now but the friends had no trouble with setting up camp for the night.

They had all grown accustomed to sleeping on the ground during their travels, the Fellowship all found it hard to sleep on soft beds in a warm house after all the time they had spent outside.
"We should be in Bree in about two weeks or so,"
Gandalf announced, "depending on how fast we plan to travel."
They spent the rest of the evening around a small fire, telling each other stories and pointing out when someone was making something up.
They turned it into a kind of game: One person would tell a story they claimed to be true and the others had to figure out whether it actually happened, or if it was made up.
Eldarion enjoyed the game the most, he was the best at it.
Haldir didn't join in and neither did Faramir.
Both felt a little out of place among the Fellowship, of course they had all been through a lot together. Faramir and Haldir retired early that night, Aragorn had Eldarion go to bed soon after.
The hobbits were preparing for bed  but Aragorn overheard Sam and Merry talking.
"He hasn't been himself ever since we got back."
Sam told Merry sadly, "I don't know what's wrong with him. But he's seemed so... Distant."
Merry nodded.
"I know what you mean. Did you know that he gave Sting to Eldarion?"
"Really? Why would he do that?"
"I don't know. But I've seen him talking with Gandalf a lot lately. I bet he knows something we don't."
"Maybe it has something to do with Frodo getting sick every year. I'm telling you Merry it gets worse every time."

Sick?
Aragorn thought. Why would Frodo be getting sick every year?
His mind raced with possible reasons then it hit him.
He had been stabbed by a Morgul blade, there was a chance that that was the cause of Frodo's ailment, Aragorn was sure of it.
He left without the two hobbits ever knowing he was there.
The company rested that night and left the next morning.
They reached Bree in about two weeks like Gandalf said they would.
Bree had been rebuilt but wasn't like it was when Frodo and the hobbits had first met Aragorn.
They were welcome by the Breelanders, but they were not trusted.
Eldarion was ecstatic to be in the place where his father had met the hobbits and had Frodo retell him the story, which Frodo did gladly.
The next morning they continued on to the Shire. They had expected to say their goodbyes at the border, then Aragorn, Faramir, and Eldarion would travel to Rohan like they had planned and Legolas, Haldir, and Gimli would return home.

But Gandalf had other plans.
He had them continue past the Shire and further west.
They were especially confused when Gandalf eventually asked Haldir, Faramir, and Eldarion to remain behind while the others went ahead.
"We will not be long."
Gandalf assured them.
"But there is something I need to speak with them about."
Haldir and Faramir had no problem with it, even though they wished that they knew what was going on.
Eldarion wasn't happy about staying behind but he didn't argue.
Gandalf led the rest of them forward, Aragorn soon realized where they were going.
He glanced at Legolas and knew that the elf had figured it out as well.
They were going to the Grey Havens.

()()()

The elves that had come to the Grey Havens rebuilt everything. It was quiet and they only saw a few elves around.
The elves that had come were there because they were about to sail west to Valinor, or were going to in the future.
They were greeted by Elrohir who embraced Aragorn.
"It has been far too long Estel! I have missed you."
"So have I Elrohir."
Aragorn smiled.
Elrohir seemed to be doing better since they had last met. Of course the elf was still missing his right hand, but other then that he seemed fine.
"Are you ready for us Elrohir?"
Gandalf asked.
"Yes. Whenever you are ready Mithrandir."
"What is he talking about Gandalf?"
Gimli asked.
Gandalf said nothing as he led them through the Havens, towards the docks where grey ships were waiting to depart.
Aragorn's suspicions were proven correct.
Gandalf was leaving.

They stood on the dock next to one of the ships. A few other elves were already on board, waiting to depart.
Gandalf turned around and faced his friends, who had also guessed what was happening.
"You're leaving."
Merry said. It wasn't a question.
Gandalf smiled sadly.
"My time in Middle Earth is over. It is time for me to sail to Valinor."
Aragorn couldn't hide his grief. He wanted Gandalf to stay, but at the same time he knew that the wizard had done what he had been sent to do. He deserved to go live in peace.
"I will not be going alone though."
Gandalf informed them.
Aragorn looked at Gandalf in confusion.
"What do you mean?"
"I'm leaving too."
Frodo stepped forward and looked at the others sadly.
"You can't be!"
Merry cried with tears in his eyes.
Sam said nothing, he looked down at his feet and tried not to cry.
"We set out to save the world, and that's what we did."
Frodo told them placing a hand on Sam's shoulder.
"It has been saved, but not for me."

Aragorn couldn't believe that two of his friends were leaving, just when he thought that he was no longer in any danger of losing his friends, they were really leaving.
"Are you coming Legolas?"
Gandalf asked.
Aragorn froze.
He looked at his friend who refused to meet his gaze.
"How long were you planning this?"
Aragorn asked not able to hide his hurt.
"Ever since I heard that Gandalf was leaving."
The elf replied, his voice shaking.
"Does your father know?"
It was a stupid question; it all made sense to Aragorn now. The way Frodo had been acting, Thranduil's sorrow when Gandalf had asked him if Legolas could come.
The others were equally grieved, they were losing three of their friends, two whom they would never see again.
"We cannot wait much longer Legolas, others are waiting."
Gandalf told him sadly.
Legolas nodded and walked forward. The three said their goodbyes to their friends, all had tears falling down their faces and none of them cared who saw.
Legolas and Aragorn embraced.
"Farewell mellon nin."
Aragorn said his voice shaking with grief.
Legolas attempted to smile.
"Take care of yourself."

Legolas walked away and joined Gandalf. Frodo said his final farewells to Sam, Merry, Aragorn, and Gimli.
"Now comes the end of our Fellowship."
Gandalf announced sadly.
"I will not say, 'Do not weep' for not all tears are evil."
Aragorn watched as Gandalf and Frodo boarded the ship but Legolas hesitated.
"Are you alright Legolas?"
Gandalf asked.
Legolas looked at the ship that would bear him away from Middle Earth forever, and then back at his friends. He looked torn, and lost.
Finally he turned to Gandalf and said, "I cannot go."
Aragorn couldn't believe what he had just heard.
"Are you certain Legolas?"
Gandalf asked.
"Yes. I am not ready."
"You don't have to stay for our sakes Legolas."
Gimli told the elf.
That was it. That was why he didn't want to leave.
"You can go if you want. We'll be fine."
Sam said trying to sound more cheerful then he was.
Legolas shook his head.
"I cannot leave now. I feel as if there is something I have to do."
Aragorn was confused.
What else could Legolas possibly have to do? He had done enough, he had lost almost everyone he had cared about. He had suffered more than possibly any elf who had lived before him.

"It is your decision Legolas."
Gandalf said.
"I am staying."
Gandalf nodded and Frodo smiled sadly.
Legolas turned and walked away from the ship.
"You didn't have to do that Legolas."
Gimli told him.
"Did you want me to leave?"
Legolas asked jokingly.
"We just want what's best for you."
Aragorn placed a hand on his friend's shoulder.
Legolas smiled.
"There will be other ships. I can leave whenever I choose."
Aragorn knew that Legolas probably wouldn't leave for many more years.
They turned and watched the ship sail away, until it vanished even from Legolas' sight.
Sam sighed.
"Well, here we are."
"Out of the nine that left Rivendell, only five remain."
Aragorn looked at what remained of the Fellowship.
"At least they're not dead."
Merry stated sadly, thinking of Pippin and Boromir.
"Come on."
Legolas announced.
"Let us return home."

()()()

So Gandalf the White has sailed to Valinor.

The figure sat on a dark chair made of stone in a dark room, a small torch did a poor job in lighting the area.

Now there is no one left to challenge me.

He stood.

No one.