Rescue

Aragorn closed his eyes and tried to ignore the pain from the whip that continued to strike his back.

Rilath stood nearby and watched silently as the four of them were whipped mercilessly.

Legolas was being forced to watch and the horror on his face was evident.

His hands had been tied behind him, he'd been gagged and was being held by two Easterlings who laughed as he struggled.

Rilath allowed the whipping to continue for a few more minutes until he raised his hand and ordered them to stop.

"That will do."
He said.
Aragorn sighed in relief.
The pain had been unbearable.
They were grabbed by several Easterlings and were brought before Rilath.

"You are fortunate that I was feeling merciful today. You could be facing death now, but instead I am giving you freedom."

Aragorn glared at him. He wasn't freeing everyone.
Rilath turned to his guards.
"Get them out of here."
Aragorn was hauled to his feet and dragged off.

He caught eye contact with Legolas, the elf was struggling desperately against his captors.

The last thing Aragorn saw of him was two Easterlings dragging him away.

()()()

They were dropped roughly onto the ground at least a mile outside of the camp.

As if they hadn't suffered enough, the Easterlings decided to beat them again with their whips they had brought.

Once they were satisfied they left them lying on the hard ground.
Beaten and bloodied.

Amarth was the first one to get up, and Gimli was the first one to speak.

"Congratulations Amarth. Not only did you manage to get us captured and beaten, but now Legolas is Rilath's prisoner!"

"Remind me again who it was that blew our cover and revealed your friend's true identity?"
Amarth narrowed his eyes at the dwarf.

"And if I recall correctly, I'm the one who prevented us from getting killed in the first place."

"How do you know that they won't kill Legolas?"
Aragorn asked.

"He's too valuable. They won't kill him. Just like they wouldn't have killed you if they had discovered that you were really the King of Gondor? You'd be in that camp just like Legolas."

Amarth stood angerly to his feet.
"I was trying to keep you both safe! And this is the thanks I get? If the dwarf hadn't ruined everything we would be safely on our way to our doom. But he had to open his mouth and get Legolas captured."

Gimli bristled while Amarth continued.

"Now I have to go back in there and rescue the pathetic elfling!"

"You're going back for him?"
Haldir asked in surprise.

"Well someone has to. Aragorn is too weak and I don't trust the dwarf. So that leaves you and me."

Haldir widened his eyes.

"You want me to help you?"
He asked skeptically.

"No. I'm going to help you."
Amarth turned to Aragorn.

"Stay here until we return. And please, do not follow us and try to do something that will get us all killed. Alright?"

Aragorn didn't have time to answer before Amarth hauled Haldir to his feet.

"Remember, we do not have weapons so stay hidden, we will be back shortly."

Without another word the two elves disappeared into the night.