Chapter 6

The three days before the event were holidays, meaning a three-day break for the students. Which meant Brother was spending time out with Sis or finally hanging out with me. In Sis's case, it was usually shopping or going out with friends. In my case, it was birdwatching or playing games. Truthfully, I would have liked to go play in a nearby park, but I was afraid of asking.

The break was also used to wrap up last-minute planning. Juumonji was at our home quite often, sometimes with others from school, like Hanzo or Saegusa. I made very short appearances when they visited, just to see how he was doing that particular day. Today, I'd spent most of the day as an animal again. Brother had ended up telling most of the people in his circle of trust of my union with the familiar. Well, his truth anyways.

So it didn't bother me at all when Juumonji, Leo, and Hanzo were in the living room talking to Brother about some 'Monolith Code'. I was laying as a wolf on a grey cushion, looking outside. Brother was going to play catch with me, but it started raining. So in other words, I was pouting.

Woof.

------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Tatsuya, where's Minoru?"

The impassive boy looked up from the data sheets he was holding, processing the question with a slight expression of confusion before looking over towards the window.

"Over there. He's pouting."

Leo shifted his weight forward to peer around his companions, only now spotting the brown wolf lounging on a grey cushion close to the window. It's sharp turquoise gaze was focused outside, as if it were watching the rain fall. The view struck a cord in the green-eyed boy, as it very much reminded him of his own situation. Things very much tend to not go the way you want them to.

At the mention of Shiba's little brother, the largest of the group glanced over in the direction Leo was looking. Unnoticeable to the present company, his gaze softened ever so slightly at the sight.

That form suits him.

------------------------------------------------------

I could feel their gazes on me, making my skin crawl in anxiety. Only one of them was one I didn't mind. I remained where I was, as I didn't really want to distract them. It only took a few moments before Brother had them back on track, conversing about whatever data they had. It made little to no sense at all to me. Most things were like that. I have the capacity to understand, but I just don't care to.

I have the open mind of an animal, and I'd like to keep it that way. That's why I only did the bare minimum of schooling before stopping. I could read, I could write, I could do complex math problems in the blink of an eye. But all that magic stuff gives me a headache. I don't need it. My magic is instinctual, formed by necessity and basic knowledge. That's what makes it so unique.

My eyes droop closed as I'm lulled to sleep by the comforting voices of men. Always have I preferred male company to female. Women... They rubbed me the wrong way. Most male creatures have the instinct to protect the female population. Me? I only care about myself and the male beings closest to me.

Females have no factor in my calculations.

>>>>>>>>>

Brother's presence was next to me when I woke. He sat beside me, head resting in one hand, his elbow resting on his knee. His other hand gently petted me, moving in calming strokes from the top of my head to the middle of my back. His gaze was outside at first, but flickered to me upon realizing I was awake. He looked... tired. A familiar tingling feeling began to form in my eyes. I knew they had turned gold.

The physical representation of 'Ori'. The familiar who merged with my consciousness and body.

"Ori... Keep Minoru safe during the competitions. I'll be busy, and I have to watch Miyuki. I won't have any way to watch over him too."

What are you saying? You're... choosing her over me...? But why... why would you... Don't do this...! Don't say it..!

"Ori. Vespas."

I could feel Brother's invisible leash slipping away, the collar around my neck being released. Did you really think I wouldn't notice if you did it when Ori was the outer person? How could you...

How could you abandon me like this?