Chapter 9

I only went to the formal banquet long enough to at least make an appearance. I didn't feel well after all, despite my seeking comfort in Brother. My body felt unnaturally warm and sluggish. I took the stairs rather than the elevator, since riding it provided the risk of passing out.

Not that it was a bright idea to take the stairs either. By the time I got back to the room, I was worn out. Yet I made myself bathe and dress in pajamas. Call me childish, but I've always had a thing for footies. The kind where you zipped yourself in and it covered your entire body up to your neck. Of course, all of mine were different animals. This time it was a white and black husky one. My towel was draped atop my wet hair as I sat atop my bed, near the end. I was too tired to dry it completely, so it was still somewhat damp.

I had nearly dozed off when I heard the door open. I snapped to alertness, though the sleepiness still lingered a bit. Juumonji regarded me almost curiously as he crossed the room to his section. I don't blame him, seeing a teenage boy in footy pajamas. Or maybe it was the temporarily unguarded expression on my face. Or even the fact that I can look similar, yet be glaringly different from my brother. Not that we're that different at all. Just different habits. He's... a tool, and I a beast.

"Dry your hair properly before you get a cold."

Despite my exhaustion, I found myself moving to obey. The words themselves were strict, but the tone was more fatherly or brotherly in nature. Completely different from my own brother. Sis may adore his every action, but I find myself somewhat uncomfortable at times.

Leo wasn't far behind, coming in while Juumonji was in the shower. Having hung my towel on the back of my desk chair, I'd already curled up under the covers of my bed. He sat on the edge of his own bed, smiling at me.

"Did you sort out whatever you needed to with your brother?"

"Not really. It's ok though."

"Oh... Out of curiosity, do you like magic? It's just... You get this expression on your face when your sister brings it up.. So I thought you might not like it or something."

I turn over, facing away from him and hugging a pillow to me under the covers. What can I say? I don't know much about magic, only that that sustains my life and kills others..

"I see magic like one sees fire. Good night, Saijou-san."

I ignored anything he said after that, simply letting myself drift off into sleep. I never dreamed, no matter how much I wished to.

------------------------------------------------------

It was strange. I could barely keep my eyes off him, though I had the feeling that Saijou couldn't either. He was small, looking more like a middle schooler than someone only a year younger than Shiba. Those eyes were strangely similar to his family's, yet different. They had that commanding look to their gaze, yet held so much knowledge. Once, I saw him sitting by himself outside the school, probably waiting for his siblings. He'd looked lonely. I watched as his siblings joined him at the gate that day, but while the loneliness disappeared, it was not gone.

He was fascinating to watch. To see him react and respond to different things. He barely showed much feeling around others, but earlier... He seemed to be having some sort of panic attack while sitting at his desk, eventually running for his brother. I get the feeling something isn't quite right with him.

I finish drying my hair before leaving the bathroom. Saijou went in for his turn happily. I'm glad I went in before he did. Oddly, the thought of him getting to savor the smell of little Shiba's shampoo made me a little mad.

I looked over at the lump beneath the covers, and found myself walking over closer to his bed. I watched the way part of it rose and fell slightly, and found myself lifting up the covers to peer at his sleeping face.

What an odd sleeping habit... Hugging a pillow tightly, with a mouthful of sheets, he seemed at peace. As if having something to hold and.. bite.. made him that much happier.

A truly strange world we live in.