Alive

*3 years earlier*

Phil's p.o.v

The vibrations are what wakes me from the comftorable state of sleep I find myself in. I dread the interruption of the welcoming warmth of bright blankets wrapped tightly around myself. My eyes are pryed open by the persistent and attention craving ringing. I am pleased to find the room illuminated with sunlight which is pouring through my curtains and soaking the brightness into my carpet.

With a loud ground I reach my fingers to grasp on to my phone which is resting beside me in bed. My eyes settle on the posters adorning the ceiling as I press the glowing answer button. I don't need to see the name to know who exactly is calling me.

"Hello" I croak out, voice still heavy with sleep. I allow a small grin to envelope my features upon hearing the expectant reply.

"Well hey there sleepy" the endearing term is one I've grown used to after years of early morning phone calls and late nights watching the stars circle in the sky.

"Hey Evan" I excitedly reply, the enthusiasm finding its way in my rested mind.

"I just wanted to call and make some plans for today, we do only have a few days after all" I have been expecting this call since we departed the night before. This is the last day any of us are free before we start uni after all. It is still impossible for me to fathom the amount of luck we have. All miraculously being accepted into the same university.

"I'm not sure what we should do yet. We have to make it special though." The anticipation of the day is creeping up on me. I am particularly antsy to get going, unable to maintain how much I am looking forward to today. Whatever it is we decide to do, it will be one of the best days of my life. Any day we are all together is one of the best days of my life.

"Well I had an idea, but I'm not sure if you will like it." There he goes again, always doubting himself. I wish he would realize that I find every one of his ideas absolutely and utterly perfect.

"I'm sure it's wonderful Evan! What is it?"

"Okay so if it's dumb we can do something else. But I was thinking that since it's our last day together before we start uni, we could do all of our favorite things. Like swim in the river, drive through town, watch the stars, everything" My breathe nearly catches in my throat, the pure joy rushing through my body is indescribable. There is not a better way to spend this day in the entire world. I know already we are going to take this day, and we are going to make it our own.

"Evan that is the best idea I've ever heard!" He doesn't need to reply for me to know there is a smile spreading across his feautures. The small breath of relief he releases is all I need.

"Call Lilah and let her know, how about we meet at the river around ten?" I take the liberty of deciding the time, knowing the earlier we start the more things we will be able to fit into our day.

"Sounds like a plan" Evan utters with happiness laced into his tone, a noise I will never be tired of hearing. He hangs up the phone, and I don't waste a moment. Anticipation of the day already buzzing in my fingertips as I pull on a swimming costume coupled with a plain t-shirt. We have had many summer days, each one being more unforgettable than the last, but there's something about this one. I already know it will be the best.

I bring the things I will need for the day, that not being much. Just a camera and a blanket and three peanut butter sandwiches. Peanut butter is Lilahs favorite.

Before long I find myself at the lake. We discovered it when we were seventeen and running through the woods. The branches were grazing our skin and the ground was cold underneath our feet but we didn't care, because the stars were shining and we were alive. The lake was frozen that night, and we sat side by side on the large rock next to it, trying to catch our breath. I remember how hard I laughed when I had to stop Evan from jumping onto the ice after Lilah dared him. After that we came here constantly, and sometimes it was to watch Evan paint, or swim on summer days, or gaze at the stars through the trees. Other times, it was just to live the way we did the day we were running through the forest with branches scraping our arms.