Chapter 1

The Naiad Trilogy

Part 3: The Naiad Queen

Chapter 1

Ava sat alone on a smooth rock. Her feet dangled into the small, clear pool before her. Her dress was pulled up to her knees; yes, she was in a dress again. She hadn't been in one since...she could hardly recall how long it had been. The last several weeks seemed to stretch on and on with each day feeling like a week itself. Today had been no shorter than the others

That morning the entire crew woke up with the first light and then sailed straight into the evils of Dark Island. There they found the last missing lord, the Lord Rhoop, and his sword. Then they faced off in a deadly battle with a fear inspired sea serpent. They had lost a few of their men in the attack; Ava had nearly been one of them, but Eustace, who had been a dragon at the time and a great friend, had saved her. She had nearly lost her life again when the sea serpent managed to sink one of its fangs into her legs, but Caspian had chopped the fang off before a fatal amount of the poison could enter her system. She was weakened, however, and retreated to her cabin for a drop of Lucy's magic cordial.

Ava never made it to the cordial though; she was called away, somehow, by Aslan where she came to see just how deep, and how strong her love for her King was. When Ava awoke she knew she had no other choice but to confess her love; he confessed his too. Then, the worst part of the day came when they sailed to the very edge of the world.

They met Aslan there, but Ava and Caspian also had to bid farewell to their greatest friends. The noble mouse Reepicheep followed his dream, his destiny, and sailed over the wall of water right into Aslan's Country. And then, Ava said a tearful goodbye to Edmund and Lucy, a King and Queen from Narnia's Golden Age, and their cousin Eustace Scrubb. Edmund and Lucy were never to return to Narnia.

Now, Ava sat alone at dusk on Ramandu's Island. Aslan had returned Caspian and Ava to the island a few hours ago. Promptly upon their return Caspian had announced their engagement to the crew the Lord's, and the rescued citizens. The crew had not been surprised in the least, and the Narnians rejoiced.

Engaged.

Ava was engaged. The thought seemed foreign to her; just last night she was convinced that Caspian had already fallen in love with Ramandu's daughter, Liliandil. And now she was engaged. Though, a formal proposal had never been made and there had been no period of courtship either. But Ava and Caspian knew they would marry; there was no question about it. Well there was one question left. When? When would they set the date? Ava knew it would be after they returned to Narnia so that her father could attend, but she didn't know how soon that would be. Caspian was in a meeting now with Drinian, the Lord's, and a few other elite members of the crew to decide when they would leave.

XOXOX

"Hmm, there's my Queen-to-be," Caspian purred in Ava's ear as he sat on the rock beside her; he sat so that his feet dangled over the other side of the rock and their left shoulders brushed against each other. Ava smiled but she could not stop the tear that escaped her eyes.

"You're crying?" Caspian quickly brushed the tear away. "Ava, if you wish to change your mind about our engagement...it is not too, late."

"Caspian!" Ava scolded. "How could you say such a thing? I will not have you speak such thoughts again. I miss our friends," she added in a gentler tone. "I love you, Caspian. Do not doubt that."

"I do not doubt it, Ava. I just know how important your magic was to you. I cannot imagine the arguments you must be hearing in your head, now."

"I do not hear any arguments, Caspian. I thought perhaps I might, but after hearing, after feeling the Narnian's joy how could I deny them of that now?"