Chapter 2

The Naiad Trilogy

Part 3: The Naiad Queen

Chapter 2

"Pardon me?" Caspian asked.

"What!" Ava exclaimed at the same time, rising angrily; Voltinus and Tavros also stood. "What do you mean it's not a 'proper union?'"

"Your Majesty," Drinian warned Caspian quietly. Caspian cast a pleading look to Ava.

"Ava, Tavros, Voltinus, please sit back down. I am certain the Lords have a good explanation. Now, please," Caspian looked back to the Four Lords; his eyes slightly narrowed. "Let us hear this explanation."

"Certainly, Your Majesty, it's all very simple really," Lord Argoz explained. "According to Telmarine law, a king can only marry a lady of noble birth be it from his own country or that of a neighboring country."

"It was brought to our attention yesterday, by the Lord Drinian here," Lord Mavramorn continued. Ava's eyes flashed over to Drinian when his name was mentioned. "...That the Princess isn't really a Princess at all. She's the daughter of your former tutor; she's a commoner. Now, unless the law has been changed since our day, which judging by your apparent lack of foreknowledge of said law it hasn't, then the marriage between Your Majesty and...your current bride-to-be is prohibited."

"A commoner? You told them I was a commoner?" Ava asked Drinian; her hurt was evident in her voice.

"That is not what I said, Princess. I told them your father was Dr. Cornelius," Drinian replied.

"Whom we know to be a commoner," Lord Revilian added.

"Dr. Cornelius was merely my adoptive father. My real parents were of the river. I am the Naiad Princess, a descendent of the River God, the last in his line. A line which is far more rich in heritage than any Telmarine line. The River God was there the very day the world was sung into existence by Aslan, and that includes your ancient land of Telmar."

"That may be, Princess," Lord Mavramorn began; the way he said "princess" made it clear that he did not believe Ava to be one. "But when our law was written we did not consider your River God to be of noble blood."

"It is important to note," Lord Rhoop spoke for the first time, "that we only meant to bring this to your attention. Laws can be changed to better suit a new Narnia."

"But it is a very strenuous affair, and one must consider the possibility that it may even be impossible in some situations," Mavramorn quickly added.

"Impossible?" Ava questioned in disbelief. "Surely you do not suggest..."

"Thank you, my Lords," Caspian interjected; he glanced at Ava apologetically. "We were not aware of this law, and now that we are we will begin to consider the options arduously. Drinian, Rynelf, Rhince, go to the citizens and tell them of their return. Have them decide when they wish to return and inform me immediately. For now, this court is adjourned."

Without delay the men began to disperse to go about other business. Caspian looked to Ava and only caught a glimpse of the tears in her eyes before she hastily stood and walked away. She went to stand at the edge of the precipice nearby. Caspian slowly walked up behind her and placed his hands on her arms.

"You just sat there," she said. "You didn't say anything while they talked about me like I was nothing. I have never felt so low in my life. Why didn't you speak against them, Caspian?"

Caspian sighed. "Because I knew that speaking while I was angry would not help to solve anything."

Ava could not be angry with him for his sensible thinking. After all, she knew he was right. Ava sighed despondently before turning in his arms and laying her head on his chest. Caspian wrapped his arms around her and hugged her close. He kissed the top of her head lovingly before resting his cheek upon it.