Chapter 31

The Naiad Trilogy

Part 3: The Naiad Queen

Chapter 31

Rhea stood outside on the balcony of her rooms. She was wrapped in a fur lined cloak, pulling it tight around her, while watching the snow fall gently. It was not the first snow of the season, but it was the first time that the snow amounted to anything. Every other time it had snowed thus far it was only for a few minutes, maybe an hour at most, and the snow melted as soon as it landed; this time was different. It had been snowing all day, and now there were several inches of coating across the land. Everywhere she looked, Rhea saw white, and the gray clouds in the sky showed no sign of letting up.

Rhea watched in silent despair.

Behind her, the door to her chambers opened and Penelope came in. "What are you doing, my Lady?"

"I'm watching the snow fall, Penelope."

"Yes, I see that. What I meant was, what are you still doing here? Is tonight not the night of the Great Snow Dance?"

"It will probably be tonight, yes," Rhea responded with a sad sigh.

"Then shouldn't you be on your way to the Dancing Lawn for the festivities?"

Rhea turned away from the balcony to face Penelope at last. "I cannot go. I wish I could, but I cannot."

"I don't understand. Why can't you go?"

"Because my father is still away, and my duty is to the castle. I cannot leave."

"Your duty, my Lady, is to your people, and tonight the Narnians need you on the Dancing Lawn, for what is the Great Snow Dance without the Naiad Princess?"

Rhea shook her head. "I should stay."

"No. You should go."

"What if someone comes looking for me?"

"Then I shall sit by your door all night and tell any who come seeking you that you are greatly distressed over the absence of you father and that you wish to see no one. Go, Rhea. Be the Princess you desire to be, and not the Princess others tell you to be."

"Will you really sit by door all night?"

"I will, if that is what it takes to make you happy."

"You do not have to make me happy, Penelope."

"On the contrary. I am your Lady's Maid; it is my responsibility to see to it that all your needs are satisfied, and that includes your happiness. Now, do not make me tell you again to go to the dance."

"Thank you, Penelope. You are truly a blessing." Rhea smiled earnestly and warmly as she wrapped her arms around Penelope and hugged her. "And a great friend," she added as she pulled back to arms length.

"Yes, yes," Penelope patted Rhea's back lightly. "Now you better hurry, and you should probably go out through the hidden passage."

Rhea hugged Penelope once more before quickly heading out through the passage in her bathroom. It wasn't as dark this time as it was when she last used the passage so she had to be a bit more careful when entering and exiting the kitchen. If she was seen no one said anything. Before jumping into the water, Rhea noticed that the sun was just beginning to dip below the horizon. She must have taken her time in the water and stayed longer than necessary because when she arrived at the Dancing Lawn the sun had fully set. Rhea enjoyed her swim far too much to have left the water any sooner though. The water was truly a remarkable thing for a Naiad; within minutes of swimming, Rhea felt better than she had in many months.