Chapter 7

The Naiad Trilogy

Part 3: The Naiad Queen

Two Weeks Later

The Dawn Treader's return to Cair Paravel was similar to that of Narrowhaven, only the crowd was larger, the cheers louder, and the applause greater. Caspian and Drinian had sent word to Trumpkin at Cair Paravel of their approximate return. Trumpkin then proceeded to send the word to all of Narnia. As a result, nearly all of Narnia was present for the King's return.

As they had at Narrowhaven, Caspian and Drinian walked down the gangplank first. Only this time, they were immediately followed by Ava, the returning lords, and the rest of the crew. Caspian very briefly told the crowd of their voyage. And then, to Ava's somewhat horror, Caspian chose that moment to announce their marriage. To Ava's great relief though, the crowd and all the Narnians rejoiced loudly.

Caspian pulled Ava to his side and whispered in her ear. "And you were worried."

Ava could only smile and push his arm playfully, but as she did she caught sight of two things. The first sight did send a shot of cold worry through her body. There was a group of Lords on Caspian's council that were not applauding her marriage to the King. She was about to direct Caspian's attention to the group of Lords when she saw the second thing, and she immediately forgot about the Lords. The River God and his Naiad daughters were standing in the river, applauding.

As Ava and Caspian began to make their way through the crowd and to the castle, Ava gently squeezed his hand and headed for the river instead. Caspian politely went on and kept the crowd's focus on him, allowing Ava the moment she needed. She walked to the river's edge and slipped off her shoes before wadding into the water; she didn't care that her dress was getting wet. The Naiads immediately rushed to her and embraced her.

"You are not angry?" Ava asked.

The River God chuckled. "No, my daughter, we are not angry."

"But why? I—I thought..."

"Ava, my child," the River God reached out to touch Ava's cheek. "I know this is the vision your father had."

Ava placed her hand over his. "Thank you." She looked to each of her Naiad sisters. "I will take all you have taught me, and apply it to my life as Queen."

"And you will be a Queen comparable to those of Old," the River God said. "Now, go to him."

The River God nodded his head in the direction of the castle. Ava looked over her shoulder and saw that Caspian was waiting for her by the gates. She turned back to the Naiads and the River God to say her goodbyes before picking up the skirt of her dress and her shoes and running to her husband's side.

XOXOX

Ava and Caspian had been back in Narnia, living in the Royal Suite of Cair Paravel, for three weeks now, but still there had not been a coronation ceremony to make Ava the official Queen. There were a few of the more traditional Lords on Caspian's council that did not approve of his impromptu marriage. Though there was nothing they could do to refute his marriage, they were hesitant to approve Ava as Queen.

This did not stop Ava and Caspian from living as husband and wife, though.

XOXOX

Ava lay on her stomach, curled into Caspian's side. Her left leg was hooked over Caspian's, her head rested on his chest, and her hand traced lazy patterns on his stomach. Caspian's left arm curved over Ava's shoulder and his hand ran slowly up and down her bare spine. The bed sheet lay gently on top of them while the cool spring night air drifted in through the open balcony doors of the Royal Suite.