Chapter 4

The Naiad Trilogy

Part 3: The Naiad Queen

Chapter 4

Ava sat in the little room in Ramandu's house looking up at her dress. It was a simple white dress and as Liliandil had pointed out, it was a gift from Princess Tianna of the Seven Isles. It had a broad swooping neckline, exposing most of her shoulders. It was duel sleeved with long sleeves that buttoned along the inner arm and drop sleeves that draped down to Ava's knees. On her upper arm, just above her elbow, and around the neckline there was an intricate silver weave with inlaid pearls and crystals. There was also a long silver belt to match the weave. The dress laced up both sides and the back, for a slim fitting look.

As Ava looked over her dress, silent tears slipped down her cheeks. The door to the small room opened and in stepped Dr. Cornelius; he quickly closed the door behind him.

"You wished to see me?" he asked. Ava turned her face to him and when he noticed the tears he rushed over. "Ava? What's wrong, my child? Why do you cry?"

"I don't know if I can do this, Father," Ava said slowly through her sobs. "I don't know if I can marry him."

"Why, Ava? Surly you love him; I know you do. I have seen it." He placed an arm around her shoulder and she leaned into him.

"It's not Caspian, Father. Oh! I do love him, I do. I wish to spend forever with him. I do not want to hurt him. Why I...I don't think I could live without him."

"Then what troubles you, my dear?"

"The Narnians, Father. Will they truly understand? Will they accept me as their Queen? Or will they despise me for giving up my magic and my role among them? I do not wish to leave Caspian, but how can I go through with this if I would not have their support?"

"Oh my daughter, my sweet, precious daughter. How can you still doubt their support when I know you have felt it? You have seen into their hearts? You felt their joy when your engagement was announced? It was your triumph they delighted in when the loophole was discovered? Tell me, how can you doubt?

"You were once their Naiad Princess, now you will become their Naiad Queen. You will be our Queen. We loved you as our Princess and we will love you as our Queen. You will bring us all together. The line between Narnians and Telmarines will be no more. A Telmarine King taking a Narnian wife; together you will unite us as one race, as one people."

Dr. Cornelius wiped the few remaining tears from Ava's eyes. "Do not doubt the Narnian's love for you, for how could we love you more?"

Ava smiled dolefully. "Thank you, Father. As usual, you have said what I needed to hear. You may send Liliandil in now; I am ready to get dressed."

XOXOX

Caspian stood barefoot on the beach against the backdrop of an orange setting sun in his most formal attire complete with sword. Drinian stood to his right and slightly behind him. The rest of the crew stood before them slightly parted so that there was an aisle leading to Caspian and Drinian. Aslan stood at the front to the crowd.

Caspian's heart was thundering in his ears, drowning out the sound of everything else. His palms were sweaty, his stomach tied in knots, and his pulse quickened with every breath he took. But you could not find a happier man in all the world. Dr. Cornelius shuffled his way down the aisle to stand at the front next to Aslan.

Caspian's heart beat faster.

Dr. Cornelius was soon followed by Liliandil who walked gracefully down the aisle to stand with her father.