Chapter 10

The Naiad Trilogy

Part 3: The Naiad Queen

Seven Years Later

Ava walked briskly through the halls of the castle, searching briefly each room that she came to. "Where is he?" He wasn't in their quarters; he wasn't in his study. Neither was he in the throne room, the dining hall, nor the stables. "What is that boy up to?" Ava left the current room she was searching and went back into the hall where at last she saw a helpful face.

"Gael," Ava greeted the blue-eyed, auburn hair, teenage girl.

"Hello, Your Majesty," Gael replied with a smile and small curtsey. Ava ignored the formal greeting.

"How is it that you appear more beautiful with each passing day?"

"It's a gift I suppose."

"I would love to have hair like yours," Ava said as she fingered Gael's curled tresses. "Mine is so plain and straight."

"You shouldn't say such things, Ava. Thoughts like that could lead to envy."

"It is perfectly all right to admit you are envious; it is a natural feeling, and one can often not help it. It is when we let those feelings consume us that they become dangerous. That goes for any feeling."

"I will try to remember that. Were you looking for something?"

"Yes, my husband. Have you seen him?"

"I'm sorry; I haven't."

"Where could he be? Ah, what about your father or the Lord Drinian, have you seen them?"

"Father mentioned something about the library."

"The library? What would he be doing in the library?"

"I don't know; reading a book perhaps?" Gael grinned cheekily.

"Really? Books in the library?" Ava and Gael laughed. "Thank you Gael; I will look for Caspian there."

"You're welcome, Ava." Gael turned and continued down the hall.

"Gael, wait! Are we still on for tonight?" Ava asked as Gael turned back to look at her.

"Absolutely!" Gael exclaimed excitedly.

"All right, then meet me in the east armory around seven. And if you happen to find Caspian before I do, please let him know that I'm looking for him."

"I will."

"Thank you, again," Ava said with a smile, before making her way to the library.

In seven years much had changed, but much had also stayed the same. Gael was no longer the adorable ten year old learning to dance with Fauns on the beach; she was a beautiful seventeen year old who had caught the eye of many young suitors from both Narnia and Archenland. Ava's coronation was held a few days after Lord Bern's speech before the council, and she had been ruling alongside Caspian as Queen in peace ever since. Ava and Helaine's friendship had deepened over the years, while Ava's relationship with Gael had become that of an older sister. Caspian and Rhince's friendship had grown immensely too, as had his friendship with Drinian; the three of them were almost always together. Rhince now served as a lord on the council, filling in the vacant chair Dr. Cornelius left when he retired a few years ago. Dr. Cornelius now fully resided in the hut in Beruna where he and Ava used to live.