Chapter 9

A brief recap: At the end of chapter 7, we had a quick glance at what was going on in Narrowhaven on the Lone Islands in the office of Duke Bern. There was a discussion between the Duke and his old friends Argoz and Mavramorn on whether or not they believed it was right for King Caspian to take Ava, a Naiad, as his wife. Duke Bern stood  by his King's decision; Mavramorn did not, and he left the room hastily.

This is what followed his departure...

____________________________________________________________

The Naiad Trilogy

Part 3: The Naiad Queen

Narrowhaven, Two Weeks Ago

"A fool! He has become a fool!" Mavramorn thought as he fled the room, slamming the door behind him. "They've all become fools! I must put an end to this. Narnia should not be in the hands of such as he."

Mavramorn had only been on the Lone Islands for a month and already he knew the three islands well. One of the first things he had done was scope out the villages. He knew where he needed to go when he needed someone who would get things done, no matter the cost. Mavramorn had never been the sort who associated only with those who abided by all laws. Mavramorn knew that sometimes certain jobs required certain traits that only a few people were willing to use, and Mavramorn made it a priority to know who those people were.

"Wake up! Wake up, you! Prepare the coach!" Mavramorn said to the driver that Bern had assigned to him shortly after their arrival.

"Ugmmh... Yes, Sire," the man said groggily as he leapt from his seat by the door and hurried out.

Mavramorn proceeded to the back of the set of rooms he had been issued to where his bedroom lay. He grabbed his traveling bag, he had purchased one soon after arriving knowing that he would probably be leaving soon, and began to pack as many clothes and belongings as he could. What he could not pack he would leave without the intent of seeing again. When his bag was set he loaded his money pouch, this he made sure he had all of. Then he went to the stables where his coach and driver sat waiting.

"To the East Dock, and ferry to Avra," he instructed before climbing in.

Once on Avra, the coach was pulled along cobble roads to the grittiest part of the three islands, a small village known simply as Mal. This was the one location that King Caspian and his crew had not seen properly on their royal visit. Mal was a village that operated differently than all the other villages. When the sun shone, Mal appeared to be like any other grouping of houses and business, but when the moon dominated the sky, Mal really came to life. All of the islands' shadiest characters made their way to Mal at night when the bars and brothels flourished.

It was here, in one of Mal's bars, that Lord Mavramorn purchased his ship and crew.

"How soon can you sail?" Mavramorn asked.

"At dawn's light."

"Make it sooner," he demanded.

"As you wish, my Lord."

The crew had been gathered quickly and soon Mavramorn stood on board the Anguis, a tiny fishing vessel. Size did not matter for Mavramorn; he knew a smaller vessel would sail faster, and the sooner he got to Narnia the better. The vessel unfurled its dual sails and before the sun could rise it left port. Mavramorn felt he had seen enough of the sea and did not wish to see more, so he retreated to the Captain's cabin, which he claimed as his own, and stayed there for the duration of the voyage.