Chapter 3

The Naiad Trilogy

Part 3: The Naiad Queen

Chapter 3

Ava could hardly believe the words she had just heard. Could it be? Was it really as simple as that?

"Are you certain of this, Lord Rhoop?" Ava asked.

"As surely as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west," Lord Rhoop confidently replied. "So long as you and Caspian were to be married on this island, then the Telmarine marriage law does not apply, and your marriage would still hold up in Narnia."

Ava couldn't believe it. It seemed too simple. She and Caspian had been spending all their time trying to figure how they could marry once they returned to Narnia. It never once crossed their mind that the solution to their problem was literally right under their noses and their feet: to marry before they returned to Narnia. Suddenly Ava felt light headed and she swayed on her feet.

"Ava!"

Just before Ava could collapse, a pair of arms wrapped around her and caught her. She looked up into the warm, love-filled eyes of the man she would call husband.

"Princess, are you all right?" Lord Rhoop asked.

"I'm fine," Ava replied.

"Like I haven't heard that before?" Caspian said as he gently placed Ava on her feet.

"Really, Caspian, I'm..."

"When's the last time you had something to eat?"

"Breakfast," she replied with a nonchalant shrug.

"Breakfast? Ava that was nearly twelve hours ago, you need to eat."

"I know, but I was looking through the books, and..."

"The books?"

"Yes, and..."

"That's it, Ava. I have to insist that you hold off on looking until we return."

"Caspian, I don't need..."

"Rhince, please go and find some fruit and water for Ava."

"Caspian, I..."

"Drinian, would you..." Caspian was promptly cut off as a pair of lips suddenly pressed against his forcefully. At last Ava had found the way to get his undivided attention. "Ava..."

"Marry me," Ava said before Caspian could say anymore.

Caspian smiled. "Ava, I do believe it is the man's duty to ask the lady. And I thought we'd already agreed that we would be married as soon as we could, once we return to Narnia and sort this marriage law out."

"No, not then, Caspian," Ava said shaking her heard. "Marry me now."

"Now?"

"Well, maybe not now, but on this island before we leave. That's the solution, Caspian. That's the loophole we've been looking for."

"What? The loophole? You—you found it?"

Ava nodded. "Well, we found it—" she looked over her shoulder at Lord Rhoop. "Tell him what you told me, Lord Rhoop."

As Lord Rhoop stepped up beside Ava and Caspian and explained to the young King what he and the Princess had discovered, Ava watched as the same wonder and astonishment she felt in her heart grew on Caspian's face. His eyes widened; his mouth dropped open and seemed to stick there. And Ava could feel his heart rate quicken through the hand she had on his chest. At last he turned his face back to her, his eyes gleaming with love. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and wiped the stray tear from her check.