Chapter 4 : IPad

Warm memories pierced through the barriers of her frozen, walled heart.

-(xxx)-

She didn't expect that she'd be taking things as far as this neither did she expect that Karlie's going to pull out something like this.

"Are you sick?" Rina concernedly asked Karlie. "You should've stayed at home and rest."

If you only knew what truly happened. . .

Karlie shook her head and started writing something into her IPad again. When she showed it to them, it reads :

'Not sick o((*^▽^*))o'

"Then what's that for?" Matt curiously asked, furrowing his brow with an amused, uneven smile on his face.

Taylor could see the smile in Karlie's eyes as their gaze met, causing her to walk away to rummage through her bag. She was trying to find something that would keep her busy while the practice isn't starting yet. It's a shame that she didn't see what Karlie has written as her response :

"A challenge to medicate broken bonds. And I'm up for it. ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ."

Taylor could hear them asking her myriad of different questions after that, as they were all piqued with this 'challenge' that she's talking about.

They were laughing at her sarcastic responses, and she could hear them.

The feeling of the secondhand embarrassment, crawling in her skin was surreal, that she wanted to dig a hole in the ground and hide there. Wanting this nightmare to end, she cleared her throat to capture everyone's attention. Including her.

"Uhh. . . Guys, practice?"

They gave her a few sorry's and excused themselves as they took their position and as her eyes fell on Karlie again, she saw that glimmer in her eyes as her iPad says :

"Sorry, mom. ヽ( '¬')ノ"

"*Ma'am (・∀・)"

Is she mocking me?

She doesn't know if at that very moment, she wanted to die because of embarrassment or to laugh with the bands and the background singers because of what Karlie's doing.

She was owning up to it as if it's her career.

She always make the weirdest things special and mind etching.

And that makes her shine brighter than anyone else.

During the course of the whole practice, Taylor kept on being distracted by Karlie's mask and whenever their eyes meet, she knows and she could feel that Karlie's smiling behind that mask.

Ugh. . . This is so annoying. Stop looking at her, Taylor, stop!

She tried. . . but she miserably failed.

And for 3 hours, she had to endure their exchanging of glances and her heart racing erratically inside her chest.

(xxx)

When lunch came, Karlie opted to stay inside the practice room. She said that she'll be doing something really important. Rina asked Karlie what she wants for lunch, so that they can buy it for her. But she refused, writing down: "I'm not hungry. ಠ_ಠ" on her IPad when Rina asked her for the millionth time.