Chapter 17 : Torture

The day has been an emotional roller coaster ride for Taylor as there were a lot of hidden emotions that sprung up to the surface just because of her dad's presence. This day has served as a reminder that sometime soon, she has to stop running and face him head on - to explain everything to him, and to hopefully make him understand.

A smile was still etched on Taylor's face as they were walking back to Taylor's home. When Karlie asked her how she's feeling, she told her how much of a roller coaster ride this day was. She even recalled everything that had happened today as if she didn't spend the whole day with Karlie. Karlie's green eyes shone as she listened to everything that Taylor's saying with interest. It reminded Taylor of how they used to spend their time together whenever they hung out before, it has been always like this - they'd spend hours on end talking about silly things and laugh at it. Most of their conversations were centered about their day was, whether they were together the whole day or not. Sometimes, she even wonder how could Karlie tolerate her blabbers, when most of her friends find it annoying sometimes.

When they finally reached the Swift residences' doorstep. Karlie bid goodnight and kissed Taylor's cheek. Taylor's heart leapt in surprise and felt her cheeks heat up. "Just remember when you need someone to talk to, I'm here okay?" She heard Karlie whispered softly as she slowly pulled away.

It took a few minutes before Taylor could even muster a nod, as she was still a bit dumbfounded with the simple surprise kiss on the cheek.

As Karlie was about to leave, Taylor grabbed her by the wrist and asked, "Do you want to drink some coffee first before you go?"

Her hold loosened, allowing Karlie to gently pull her hand away as she turned around to face Taylor.

"I'm fine, I might not be able to sleep early tonight if I drink coffee this late, sorry."

"Uhm, cookies?"

"I'm not in the mood to eat, sorry."

"Hot chocolate? Water?" She was running out of options. She doesn't know why she wanted Karlie to stay for a bit longer. But she felt as though that she needed to, for her sanity's sake.

"Do you want me to stay?" Karlie asked with a playful smile across her lips.

Taylor flushed at the question. She bit her lower lip and simply gave Karlie a nod. Head bowed down and eyes trained on the concrete, she uttered, "I-It's okay if you don't want to though, I understand that you still have things to do and it's already late."

She heard Karlie chuckled softly. When she lifted her gaze, she saw Karlie's green-eyes sparkle as a wide amused smile played across Karlie's lips.

"Don't take it back, I'd like to have some cookies please?" Karlie said as she opened the door and pulled her in. When Taylor closed the door behind them, she crossed her arms across her chest and looked at Karlie with her eyes narrowed playfully.

"I thought you weren't in the mood to eat?"

"I just wanted you to force me to," Karlie said nonchalantly as they walked into the kitchen. The house was screaming a sullen atmosphere. All of the lights were dimmed or off, and the only noise that they could hear were the sound of crickets or cars passing by outside of the house.

They probably fought again. Taylor thought to herself as she flickered the lights on and walked over to the cupboard to get the jar of chocolate chip cookies.

They sat right next to each other on the kitchen counter, munching on the cookies in hand and swinging their legs in and out of the moonlight streaming through the kitchen window. Taylor asked Karlie a series of questions about how her life had been without her a year ago, which Karlie decently answered. Most of her stories were about how her family. How her mom and her fixed the broken bond and slowly restoring it to the way it was before.