11.) Cherry Hill

~Creston's POV~

After what seemed like forever, but was only about twenty minutes, of an awkwardly silent car ride we finally arrived at Cherry Hill. It looked unrecognizable as we slowly drove up to the giant barricade that separated the desolate outside world from the brightly glowing inside.

Wrapped around the whole neighborhood was a vast double chain linked fence with barbed wire surrounding the top. There was a gap in between the two fences so that soldiers and small vehicles could maneuver through with ease, and not have to drive through the streets of the neighborhood. There were guard towers that were heavily armed spread out sporadically in between the two fences. There were also searchlights that were being swept across the streets on the outside of the walls and the occasional round of gunfire.

As we approached the barricade, a group of three men and one woman, all wearing identical camo uniforms, approached the vehicle that both Jacob and I were in. Jacob slowed the vehicle to a stop and the soldiers threw open the doors of the Jeep and inspected it with flashlights.

After about a minute of searching and Jacob showing his ID badge, we were able to proceed through the large makeshift gate that acted as the sole main entrance to the camp.

Jacob proceeded slowly through the double gate and as soon as we got through, they were shut hastily behind us.

The inside of the neighborhood looked almost exactly the same as it did before all of this happened. Except for the obvious presence of the army and the landscaping looks a little overgrown, but all in all, it looks almost exactly the same.

We pulled into a parking space at the front of the place that you rent golf equipment and golf carts from and Jacob turned off the car and hopped out.

He walked around the car and opened the door for me as I hesitantly climbed out.

"We have to get you checked in," He informed as he popped open the trunk and grabbed my suitcase and handed me my book bag.

He marched forward and I had to jog to try to catch up with him as he reached the front door and held it open for me as he ushered me inside.

The inside of the building looks completely different. Instead of the racks of golf clubs and buckets of golf balls that used to occupy that space, the walls were stripped bare and replaced by army posters and bulletin boards of names and numbers.

"Hello." Said a friendly womanly voice from behind the counter, of what used to be the checkout. "Are you a new arrival?" She questioned me as I approached her.

She was a bigger woman with pale skin and short blonde hair that she wore in a ponytail. She had blushing red cheeks and bright blue eyes.

"Yeah, he's a new arrival from Creek Point," Jacob informed her before I could even get a syllable out of my mouth.

"I'll need his full name as well as the names of any family members," She instructed as she looked at Jacob to answer as if he knew any of that information.

"My name is Creston Germanotta," I informed the woman. "I have a brother whose name is Joe and my mother's name is Mary." I made sure to tell her Joe's name just in case he showed up trying to look for me.

"All with the same last name, correct?" She questioned.

"Yep. That's correct." I say with a bit of hope starting to surface inside of me.

Maybe she found his name in the database and that's why she asked me if he had the same last name?

"Sorry," She said with a look of sympathy in her eyes. "There are no matching names in the database." My heart dropped into my stomach as a sinking feeling rose inside of me.