16.) Greenwood

~Creston's POV~

We pulled up to the entrance of Greenwood and I'm a little unimpressed with the layout. I mean, I knew in advance that this place wasn't gonna be some high-class neighborhood like Cherry Hill was. I've had friends who have lived here and I knew beforehand that it was only a middle-class neighborhood, still nicer than the one I grew up in, but nonetheless it wasn't full of brick mansions and perfectly pedicured lawns.

I also noticed that the security of the place was slightly less uptight. There was only one layer of fencing that surrounded the whole neighborhood and there were multiple entryways and exits scattered sporadically along the front length of the neighborhood. Along with the lack of fencing, there were no guard towers, just a few makeshift wooden posts with one heavily armed soldier standing on top of each one.

In fact, this whole camp looks like it took only a week to set up. They were still rolling in truckloads of supplies, some of them were obvious about the contents within them while others were vaguely marked and heavily guarded.

This whole place had an unsettling aura like it was a ticking time bomb just waiting for someone to be in the right place at the right time in order for it to go off and self-destruct.

As we pulled into the main street, I noticed that the civilians, all of whom are underage, are extremely close to the front entrance. It looks like the first two houses on either side of the street are occupied by soldiers and the others are occupied by kids.

There were no office buildings that housed all of the soldiers and their meeting areas, so where are they going to stay? Where are they gonna store the food and weapons? Where will they hold meetings to discuss getting this city back in working order?

A million questions were flying around in my head when Jacob pulled up to a house and turned off the engine.

"We're here." He informs and hops out of the vehicle going to the trunk to grab all of our belongings.

It was a comfy looking house. It's a beige two-story wooden house with a two car garage and a small front lawn. There seemed to be fencing around the backyard of the house, but other than that it looked like a fairly normal house.

Nothing too fancy or distinct about it.

I hopped out of the vehicle and followed the girls to the back of it to collect our belongings and set up in our new residence.

"I call the master bedroom!" Sarah declared as she picked up her suitcase from where Jacob put it on the sidewalk.

"Not if I get there first!" Laura giggled as she picked up her suitcase and ran as fast as she could to the front door, with Sarah close behind her.

"Hey! Wait for me!" Cassie yelled as Jacob handed her her suitcase and she darted off towards the already open front door of the house.

I was next in line and waited for Jacob to hand me my stuff when he suddenly shut the trunk.

"Ummm, Jacob?" I question. He probably forgot that I needed my stuff for the new house. Haha. "I kinda need my stuff." He gives me a sideways look before responding.

"You're not staying with them." He informs. I give him a quizzical look wondering what the heck he's talking about. Why wouldn't I be staying with my best friends?

"Boys and girls have to stay in separate houses." He informs. "For obvious reasons." He points out as he heads back over to the driver's side of the vehicle.

He must not have noticed my raging homosexuality.

I walk over to the passenger side of the vehicle and hop into it as Jacob starts it up again and starts driving down the street. "So where exactly am I staying then?" I press.