Chapter 1- banana shopping

"...like and subscribe and we'll see you next week!" ...and the end of yet another of thatcherjoe's videos. I stared at my laptop screen, beginning to watch the intro to another. The 7th tonight.
I was practically in love with him, and, being 20, the hormones were kicking in.
"Vi!" screeched Mum. She always called me Vi, it was only ever Violet if I was in trouble.
"Vi? Vi? Violet, tea's up!"
Sausages, pie, peas and gravy: the usual boring meal with all the usual boring trimmings. A typical Monday night tea, just me and mum, then her putting a plate of pie and peas in the microwave for dad when he gets home later.
"Vi, did you want to go to Mary's tomorrow? I'm at work, so I can't pick you up from school. I'll ask Mary's mum to get you. I'll pick you up from there around 5, okay? Violet, are you even listening?"
"Oh, uh, yeah. Sure."
"Good," said mum, " and we're going shopping. I need some bananas and biscuits and tea bags and..."
"Yes. Okay!" I agreed, stopping her mental shopping list.
When I finished my meal, I sat and watched TV for about an hour.
"Up to bed now, Vi. It's getting late."
As I walked up the stairs, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror on the landing: shoulder-length, wild brown hair, hazel eyes and my not-too-fat, not-too-skinny body. I switched the light out and changed into my purple pyjamas, then got into bed.
-------------

I just about stumbled through Tuesday- maths, double biology, Spanish and trigonometry. Great.
3:00 came all too slowly, the end of a long day bringing a walk to Mary's place. 5:00, and mum was there at Mary's front door the moment the clock chimed for the hour- typical of mum. On time exactly.
"Bye, Vi, see you tomorrow!" Mary waved at me through the window to her living room, manic strands of crazy golden hair flying wildly.
We got out of mum's BMW at Sainsbury's and I grabbed a trolley.
"You go for bananas, okay, Vi?" Obediently, I scooted off to the fruit aisle. Whilst I was browsing the supermarket's unlimited supply of green, yellow, brown, ripe, unripe, squashy, firm bananas, a familiar voice directed its speech towards me: "banana shopping?"
I looked around as I realised that OMFG, it was Joe! The joe! Thatcherjoe was 'banana shopping!'
"Oh, uh, yeah. Fascinating, isn't it?" I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm, which he seemed to find hilariously funny. The little thatcherjoe fan inside of me was practically melting!
"Ha! You're so funny! What's your name, anyway, banana girl?" I smiled, wondering whether I should tell him.
"I'll give you my name if you give me your number..." I thanked myself over and over - somehow I was managing to stay cool, which was more than I could say for joe. He was fiddling with his hair, blushing more than a tomato and he had a huge, gawky smile spread across his face.
"That sounds... Great!" He pulled out a little piece of paper as I pulled out a pencil. Omg! He seemed more excited and enthusiastic as I did! Maybe because on this rare occasion I had brushed my hair and applied a thin layer of makeup. He handed me the little slip of paper and I put it in my pocket.
Suddenly my mum pulled up behind him and said, "Darling?"
"Jesus Christ!" Joe practically screeched and jumped wildly - my mum had obviously surprised him.
"Mum!" I turned to Joe. "are you okay?" I said, holding back laughter.
"Darling, who's this? He looks familiar..." Indeed he did, as she had watched some of his videos with me.
"No, mum, he's just one of Mary's mates... I know him from her 16th. Man, that party was insane!" I lied, looking around as teenage girls were starting to notice and recognise him. He obviously saw them too.
"Uh, this has been great, but, I have to... Uh... Go..."
I looked at him and walked a little closer. He gently pulled me in and kissed me on the cheek, whispering quietly, "I'll find out your name banana girl. See you round..." He pulled away as I winked and walked in the other direction.