Cat Toys Everywhere

It's 3 am and the road out of the campsite is long, bumpy and twisted. Definitely the kind of road you hear about leading away from "close encounters." Alice remains focused on the road despite her frequent glances into the rear-view mirror to our passenger. I look at her, and she looks at me as if to convey, 'what have we gotten ourselves into girl?' I want to talk to Loki, but I can't bring myself to say anything at this point. All I can do is stare into his emerald green eyes through the space between the headrest and the seat that are dimly lit by the multitude of the Audi's red interior buttons. Amongst his gazing about the inside of the car, his eyes meet mine. I look away, at, the sunroof. The sunroof? Why the fuck would I need to look at the sunroof at 3am?! He reaches out and gently places his hand on my left shoulder. I peer out from behind my headrest wall.

"May I ask, why you stare at me? Is there something wrong?" he asks.

I shift my eyebrows in an 'aww' fashion, "No Loki, not at all, this night has just been, well, a little weird for me is all."

"I completely understand. All this seems just as strange for me as I'm sure it does for you," he reassures.

I find myself once again, lost in those eyes of his.

"Yes Ravena?" He interrupts half smiling as if to gesture me to continue a sentence I don't remember starting.

"Huh? Oh. Sorry. Nothing Loki," I once again cower inside myself. I want to make mention of his attractiveness, as is my custom, but I have a feeling that Alice would reach over and 'Gibbs-slap' the back of my head if I did. He tilts his head slightly and smiles as he closes his eyes, turns to look out the window, and reopens them. Urgh he's gorgeous.

I turn back round in my seat just in time to see a familiar and inviting sign, Birch Street; home sweet home. We turn right into the pebbled driveway, up to the light blue raised ranch. It's a very nice place. Very well taken care of by our landlords, Arthur and Gloria, an older couple in their late 60's. They live upstairs and we live downstairs. Gloria is quite the avid gardener, hence the well manicured landscaping and vegetable garden out back. Arthur is a small engine mechanic/handy man, so needless to say there are machine parts scattered all over his workbench in the garage. Gloria always leaves us fresh veggies in a basket when she picks up our rent check. It's always fun coming home and seeing that I get to have a fresh salad that night. They also give us access to the right side of their 2-car garage. Alice and I take turns parking there since they only have one car between them. Gloria doesn't drive. She can't. She has epilepsy. Poor Gloria has never experienced what it's like to drive a car, because at any moment she could have a seizure. I frown to myself at the thought.

Alice pushes the button to open the garage but decides to park outside. Good idea on her part. We have no idea how the coming hours may play out. We may need to leave in a hurry. She puts the car into park, takes a deep breath, pats both her legs with her hands, and exhales. She looks at me , I look back and we both turn to look at Loki, who is occupied with playing with her power window switch. We look back at each other, smile, and exit the car. I walk back to Loki's door and put my hand on the handle, at which point Loki stops messing with the switch and presses his lips together like a little kid as if to convey, 'Ok, I'm done."

"We're here Loki," I say as I open his door.

"Is this your dwelling?" he asks ever so adorably.

"Yep, this is where I live with Alice," I smile back.

Loki goes to stand up, but is held in place by the seat belt.

He chuckles, "may I ask how does one remove this device?" he signals to the belt with his open hands.

"Oops, sorry, here, like this," I reach across his lap to the button. As I reach over, I notice that it is now HIM staring into MY eyes. I lose focus for a second and without realizing it, I am attempting to click the button to an empty belt buckle. I blush and re-reach for his. The belt clicks free and Loki swats the belt from his shoulder. He is so funny. I reach out my hand to lead the way, he reaches back, grabs my hand, and he exits the Audi.