4 *high expectations

🦁Phil🦁

We just heard the last girl sing and she was amazing at it.
And she has great taste in music and clothing, and I love her hair.
But I just think that she is more exiting than the other girls, the other girls only want to talk about how popular they are and what make up they're into and I think it's pretty boring to say the least.

Once she was finished we clapped, we were generally in awe at how amazing this 13 year old was.
"That was awesome!" I said.
"Thank you." She giggled.

"Phil she's so cute." Dan whispered to me. I laughed a little and nodded.

"Well thank you for talking with us and since your the last of the girls, we'll be coming out with you." I explained, smiling, she also smiled and got up, I noticed something on her back, it was a piece of paper taped to her back that read 'Freak!!' I took it off and she turned around and took it from my hands. I looked at her, waiting for a response.

"It's just a little joke." She mumbled, folding it up and putting it in her pocket. Why? I don't know...

Then Dan took a look at her face, she had bruises, a black eye and cuts all on her face. How couldn't we have noticed that before?

"Are those just little jokes too?" He asked, pointing at them.
"Just the silly kids in the orphanage, but with most of the bruises and black eye, I'm just clumsy." She lied

"Emerald. You didn't do that yourself." Dan said. She looked down and we both put our arms around her, waiting for her to explain.

"Fine... The kids in the orphanage, they generally hate me. Nobody but Miss Field, the care-taker, understands or cares. And this is what they do to me." She explained. That was awful.

"C'mon, let's go." Dan smiled as we both lead her out of the room as she sat back down on the chair, everyone was sitting down on chairs and we stood at the front.

A lot of girls were whispering 'they're gonna pick me!' But I looked over at Emerald and she was only fiddling with her turquoise hair and reading a book.

"So, Mr Lester's, have you decided which girl you'd like to adopt?" The lady, Mrs Sholfield asked us. We both looked at Emerald. Miss Field caught us looking and smiled.
"Emerald?" She smiled, "one unusual, smart girl. She's gone through a lot. A lot of pain in her life. Emotional, harmful and Sexual abuse, bullying, self harm, depression." That poor girl has gone through most child's nightmare. But yet she fights through." She told us.
"We'd like her.." Dan smiled, I smiled too, she smiled back.

"Em?" Miss Field said, making Emerald look up.
"Go upstairs and pack your bags sweetie. Your getting adopted." She said, her eyes widened, as did every other girl's.
"What?!" A girl with blonde and brown hair said, causing everyone to stare at her. "That freak can't be adopted, your making an horrible mistake Dan and Phil! I think you meant me." She stated.

"No, we did mean Emerald. Not you." I said to her.
"Courtney!" Miss Field shouted at the girl, "how dare you. Stop being so jealous and disrespectful of Emerald." A lot of kids went 'oooo' at Miss Field's response.

"Me?! Jealous?! Of that freak!?" Courtney spat.
"Well, it's obvious you are." Dan said, "I mean, you want to be her because your having a tantrum about it."

Emerald was still standing in the doorway, struggling to not start laughing. I smiled and ushered her to go upstairs and pack, she nodded and ran upstairs while the argument was still going on.