Chapter 9: The Plan

My phone beeped and Sam looked up from his book to glare at me. I smiled sheepishly, knowing the text was bound to be another apology from Raj. I’d received at least ten already, all saying the same thing: “It was a mistake! I’m sorry! It meant nothing to me!”

                “What’s he said this time?” Sam asked casually but there was a slight harshness in his voice.

                I checked the text.

                “Please stop ignoring me. It was a mistake – I really like you,” I read out loud.

                “He’s a jerk,” Sam commented.

                “Duh,” I responded. stuffing my phone into my pocket. I leaned my head back and stared at the ceiling, thoughtful. “It’s good that I was going to break up with him anyway. Imagine getting married to him.”

                “What are you going to say to your parents, by the way?” asked Sam, folding a page and closing the book. After carefully placing it down, he looked up to me as if expecting some sort of plan.

                And – for once – I actually had one.

                “I’m going to lie,” I said, smiling.

                “How?” he said suspiciously.

                “Simple,” I replied, shrugging. “They’re doing this because I’m not in a relationship, right? Well I’ll just say I’m already in one.”

                “Clever,” said Sam approvingly. “But what if they want to meet this guy?”

                “Ah,” I said abruptly. “I... didn’t think this through.”

                Sam snickered.

                Just when I was about to retort, I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. Sighing, I scooped it out and was surprised to see that it wasn’t Raj’s number.

                It was my parent’s.

                “Uh, hello?” I said nervously into the phone after clicking ‘answer’.

                “Hello Katrina,” I heard Mum say, and she sounded disappointed. “We heard about Raj, again!”

                “Oh,” I said awkwardly. “Um, yeah... me and him are over.”

                “Why?!” Mum cried. “He was a lovely, lovely man.”

                “Sorry,” I said helplessly. “It’s really none of your –“

                “Nevermind,” she interrupted dismissively. “I’ve already found another guy. He’s –“

                “I’m dating somebody!” I blurted desperately. It was the only way.

                “What?” Mum said excitedly and I could just imagine her eyes lighting up. “Who is it, Katrina? Is he Asian? Oh, it doesn’t matter! Tell me!”

                “His name’s.... uh...” I heard Sam clear his throat. I turned to look at him. He winked at me and pointed a finger at himself. Immediately understanding, I said, “His name’s Sam.”

___________________________________________________

Sorry its short but I'm sorta busy :/ xxxxx enjoy!!!