Thirty-Seven

Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. ~Mother Teresa

Michael's POV

I was shocked to see Luke in the state he was in. What had gone through his mind since he was breaking Ashton's face - from what I had seen, it was bad - and then to being behind bars to sitting on a hospital bed. As far as I know though, he needed a hospital for his head, as he looked like he was losing it.

"What's the matter, Luke?" I asked.

"I think," Luke wiped under his eyes. "I think I understand where you're coming from."

"Where I'm coming from?" I asked.

"It's not selfish, and it's not that you don't care." Luke said. "But death seems like a much more viable option than I once thought it to be." I felt my eyes grow wide as my stomach dropped. If anything, Luke was always so against death, he went his entire life struggling and never once turned and took his own life when he had so many opportunities to. But now, something deep inside me was scared for Luke. I once had security in feeling that Luke would be fine, no matter what he always pulled himself out of the ashes. He always won. But now I was frightened by what I heard. I felt my mind race and my hands shake at what he had said.

"Luke.. You can't be serious." I said quietly. I knew that Samantha was planning on sending me away, that was the arrangement, and I had broken our deal - I no longer had a choice. If I left though, what would happen to Luke? Would Luke still be here when I got back?

"It makes so much sense now, and I don't know why I never saw it earlier." Luke said. "Why do we even bother to pull ourselves up when we've slammed against the cold ground? We all die in the end, and if it's not going our way why do we even bother to go through all of the torment."

"I wish I had an answer for you." I said.

"You spend your entire life fighting against yourself, and then you have everyone else flanking on each side." Luke said, he never looked at me the entire time but I could see the dead look in his eyes. "So to lay in my casket at this age or sixty years from now is a no-brainer. I would rather be dead now then go through all of the struggles I would have to endure later in life."

"You always felt like death was never an option. You always feared it." I said. "Now you totally accept it?"

"I don't know what lies on the other side, the parallel to the world of the living is unknown to me." I said. "But I would have no problem taking it."

"You're insane." I sighed. "Luke, you can't be serious."

"I am." Luke snapped at me, but his gaze quickly softened. "Look at what I've done." His eyes looked down to his hands. "There is no place in this world for a monster like me. All I do is mess things up and ruin perfectly good things. I can't solve issues without turning them into disasters. I desecrate everything it means to be humane. There's a difference between people who deserve death and people who want to die, but for some reason these are two different things that I have."

"You're no monster, Luke." I said as I put a my hand on top of his wrapped one. "Everything has a consequence, no matter what you do. Why would you ever consider just leaving me here if you just fought all this way for me?"

"Because you deserve things I can't give you." Luke sighed. "All I do is make a mess out of everything. I break everything I touch. And eventually, I'll break you too."

"What you did was stupid, no doubt." I said. "But you did it because you cared. Not for the fun of it. You're a good person, and your intentions are good, but you just don't know how to act sometimes. Why did you even come back here?"

"I wasn't going to." Luke shrugged. "But James made me. He said it would make me feel better."

"Well, clearly that's not happening." I sighed. "Luke, you have to promise me that you won't do anything stupid."

"I don't." Luke snapped at me. "Look at what you did, you could have never promised me that you would never do anything stupid."

"But I also had people telling me every day to kill myself while the whole world worships you."

"What are you talking about?" Luke turned to me with wide eyes. "People are telling you this? And you didn't say anything? Michael I could have helped you!"

"But it wasn't your problem!"

"No it was!" Luke snapped. "When you agreed to date me, my problems became yours, and your problems became mine. If I felt like none of this was my problem I wouldn't have gotten arrested in the first place. I do these kinds of things - stupidly enough - because I just want to keep you safe and happy but I can't do anything if you don't let me. And if I can't do it, then I don't have anything else going for me."

"You used to try so hard before you met me," I said. "And now you talk about giving up. How am I helping you? You have so much going for you without me there."

"But I need you." Luke sighed. "Mikey.." He leaned closer to me so that our faces were inches apart and his hands were on each side of me.

"L-Luke.." I mumbled.

"I love you." Luke whispered. "Please don't ever leave me, promise me."

I found myself swallowing hard, but finding that I could never deny someone like Luke. "I promise." I whispered back to him and leaned forward, pressing my lips against his own. Luke pulled away and climbed off the bed though.

"I have to go with Officer Harper now, I'll see you later okay?" Luke responded.

"You never promised me that you would never leave." I said quietly as Luke was walking away, he froze in his spot and I did not think he actually heard me, but he turned to me and smiled.

"I promise Michael." He smiled and walked out of the room.

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION; Ariana

Resolving everythinnnng.

HEY I STARTED A NEW MUKE CALLED PUPIL

So anyways, I have playlists that I listen to when I'm writing books, and I thought that you all might want to listen to it and get a little bit of a feeling of how music helps me write books. So at the beginning - and I mean the way beginning - of books I'm going to start putting up the book's playlist. I did it for this one so if you go to the introduction there's a list of songs I listen to while writing. You don't have to look at it, but you can =3

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX