Chapter 9 - The Little Devil is Too Good

My dreams last night were filled with all kinds of lollipops and dancing fairies, all of which were surrounded by the same face I had kissed last night. I dreamed of Jake all night long and when I woke up, I was still in a daze.

When the aroma of pancakes hits me, I get up quickly and let my senses guide me to the steam. I exit my door and follow the steaming sensation to see Jace in the kitchen flipping some pastries on the griddle. I follow it so steadily that I don't remember to watch where I'm going. I accidentally run right into the cutting board he has out for cutting up strawberries and knock over the bin of them, spilling them all over the newly washed floor. My mom is going to kill me.

"Good morning, Miss I-Am-In-A-Daze," Jace greets, waving the spatula toward me as I rub the spot where my hips jammed into the corner of the board. "Someone seems a little bit lost in lala land. Care to share?"

"Share what?" I ask, pretending to not know what he's talking about while I'm hunched over the strawberry mess trying to clean it up.

"Oh, you know, the fact that I'm pretty much ninety-nine percent sure that this has to do with a boy. I knew you were going to end up dating one of your friends."

My mouth drops open and I throw a handful of juicy strawberries at his shirtless chest. "Shut up, Jace! You shouldn't accuse me of things unless you know for sure whether I actually was with a boy or not."

He looks shocked at his chest as the clear juice flows down his chest and next thing I know I have a glob of pancake batter drooling down my face. "Well I do know for sure that you were with a boy, so I have the right to accuse you."

I let out an angry groan and grab the bag of pancake powder, taking a handful and throwing it in his face. He flinches back but it still hits him right in the face and he gasps, shaking it off as best as he can. I smile in satisfaction but then I let out a scream. Jace is coming at me and he's coming quick. I turn to run, but his athletic body beats me to the chase. His left arm grabs me around the waist and his right comes to grab the bag away from me. I start squirming around like an injured seal.

"Jace! Let go!" I shriek, watching the bag get higher and higher in the air. Not only is it getting higher, but it's also tipping toward my head and I really prefer not to be covered in a bag of pancake mix today.

"Not today, sweetheart," he grins evilly as it starts coming higher. Right as it starts to pour out, I grab him and pull him closer to me so he gets the same effect I do. His weight is starting to crush me but it's totally worth it as the bag turns upside down, dumping its contents all over both Jace and I.

There's a very dead silence as we try to get the pancake mix out of our hair and eyes and finally I can't take the contention anymore. I start to laugh hysterically as he shakes his head back and forth, his whole head white with the powder. He looks at me and grins a little once he realizes how covered I am too and he eventually joins in.

"You are so dead, Sammy," he chuckles, looking down at our snowy kitchen floor. "So dead."

"Maybe you shouldn't pick fights, smart one," I point out, wiping the tears from my eyes as I continue to giggle. "How does that strawberry juice feel in your belly button?"

"It's rather cold actually," he says. "How does the batter feel?"

I look down and see it starting to go down my shirt. "Gooey," I reply. "Extremely, disgustingly gooey."

"Good to hear," he says, laughing some more. He gets up slowly, brushing the mix from his shorts and off his chest before going to flip over the batch of pancakes on the griddle. It is starting to smell like something is burning and I plug my nose. I do not like that smell at all.