Chapter 22 - Serve It Up

Samantha.

“I am not eating that,” I state stubbornly, hugging my knees.

“Yes you are.”

“I am not,” I growl.

“Actually you are,” Jake says, holding the spoon of corn to my face.

“I most certainly am not,” I hiss, pushing it away. He loses grip of it and it falls on the floor, making a loud noise. It makes us both jump.

“Now look what you've done,” he sighs, picking up the spoon. “Look, this is what my parents made for dinner and you are going to eat it whether you like it or not.”

“Nope,” I say. “You can't force me to eat it.”

He looks at me challengingly and smirks. “Are you sure you want to say that?”

“Why?”

“Because I will.”

“No you can't. Seriously, just let me be. You are driving me crazy.”

“Open wide, honey,” he says, taking a spoon of mashed potatoes and putting it to my lips.

“Jake, seriously, I don't like potatoes or corn. Please just stop trying to feed me,” I say, frowning. This makes him realize that I'm not playing anymore, so he backs off and puts the plate down.

“You are worrying me sick.”

“Why?”

“You haven't eaten hardly anything for the past three days and it's making me nervous. You are going to starve yourself. I can't let that happen, okay?”

“I'm simply not hungry,” I say.

“Your body wants food, Sam. You know what, come with me. Cody can't be mad at me for wanting to feed you, so come on,” he says, gesturing toward the door. I sigh and get up, taking advantage of the opportunity to escape this miserable place. He scoops up the plate and takes my hand, leading me around to go find food.

“Cody probably wants me to starve,” I say, looking at the floor. “That's probably part of his plan. He's either going to make me want to kill myself or he's just going to do it.”

“You actually care about what he thinks?” Jake asks in surprise.

“If someone wanted to take your life, you probably would, too,” I say.

“Stop worrying about him,” he says. “All he cares about is himself.”

“You sure your parents won't think I'm crazy?”

“They're probably in bed by now,” he says. “They have the early morning shift tomorrow.”

“You aren't going to school tomorrow?” I ask.

“Why should I? I graduated early a couple months before we moved here, but I came back just to...you know.”

“I wish I didn't,” I say. He sighs and guides me up a huge flight of stairs. No wonder his parents didn't know what was going on downstairs; the gap between the first and second floor was insanely big.

Once we make it up the stairs, we pass by the front door, which makes me very sick. All I had to do was go through it and I would be free, but I couldn't betray Jake like that. Cody would probably kill him.

After a couple of more turns, we make it to their giant kitchen. He lets go of my hand and opens the fridge door, gesturing for me to come over.

“Come find something that you'd like,” he says as I walk over. I take the handle from him so he can put the other dish in the sink and I look around. There are way too many options. There is every kind of fruit and vegetable you could ever imagine, there is dairy products, and there is my most favorite thing in the world: chocolate milk.