Chapter 13 - We're Her Kids, Not Her Servants

“You all suck,” I say in disgust as they set up for our little experiment.

“Aw, Sam,” Jace coos. “Don't be so sour.”

“Sour? I'm sorry for being concerned about my general welfare,” I snap. They have a hidden camera booth set up across the room to where I'm supposedly supposed to lure Cody from his room to beat me up. We can hear noises in his room and we know the beast is amidst us.

“Jake, Kasen, and I have your back, honey,” Jace says sweetly.

“Yet my head is still available,” I mutter dryly.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“Uh huh. Sure. Now I need you to taunt him.”

“Ugh,” I say as Kasen takes his place at the camera booth next to Jake. “Here goes nothing.”

“Oh, just help us, please,” Jace growls, clearly getting annoyed. I walk up to the door and put my hands on my hips, adding a little decoration to my sassy approach.

“Cody, you are such a freaking pig!” I yell before stepping away from the door quickly. You never know how close to it he is. “You left your can of Arizona Tea out here and it's polluting our perfect house, just like you are!”

Okay, maybe that was a little mean. But sometimes, the truth hurts.

Things start shuffling and I see the door handle cranking open. I bite my lip and continue to back away from the door as the air begins to escape from inside his dark room. Someone save me...

“Honey, is that really how you talk to your brother?”

My breath hitches in my throat. I am baffled. There is no way...

“Mom, what are you doing here?” Jace gasps. He sounds just about as shocked as I feel. What is my mother doing first of all, at home, but of all places? Cody's room? Really?

“It's my home,” she states casually. “Am I not allowed to be here anymore?”

“You're never here anymore,” Jace says, clearly upset. “Ever since Cody came, you have hardly been home. Maybe if you weren't working all the time, we wouldn't be so shocked when you show your face here.”

My jaw drops. She is not going to take this well at all. She never does.

“Excuse me for providing you with a wonderful house, food to eat, clothes to wear, and an education,” she snaps. “Maybe one day you'll be grateful for what I've done for you.”

I feel like someone just chopped my heart in half. How can she think like that? We're her kids, not her servants.

“That's what Dad is for,” Jace frowns, furrowing his eyebrows. “We all know you have plenty of money. It doesn't take an idiot to figure that out. What are you really doing with it? Are you using it to keep Cody from becoming a hobo?”

“That is none of your business, young man,” my mom fires back. “You better fix up your behavior right now. I will not put up with your sass any longer.”

“Excuse me for caring about the welfare of this family,” Jace growls, his fists balling up in anger. “While you and Dad have been putting in hours to support a twenty-two year old pedophile, Sam has been abused by your son and I've had to go to extra reaches in order to protect her. But you probably don't believe me anyway. You can't accept the fact that your son is a drug abuser.”

My mom is giving him the most indescribable look, but for sure she is angry. I don't think I've ever seen her look so evil, even when I broke her finest jewelry box as a toddler. Her blood is probably boiling under her pale skin. Ladies and gentleman, the grim reaper has been unleashed.

“Get. Out. Of. My. House,” she says through her teeth, spitting each word out. Trust me, I can see it. “NOW.”

Jace throws his chair down loudly on the ground and stomps like a two year old toward the front door. I can't let him go, I can't let her do this.

“If he goes, I go, too.”

Jace stops in his tracks and I hear Jake and Kasen shuffle from behind the booth. My mom gives me a very stunned expression.

“Sam, but-”

“No. After what Jace has done for this family, you have no right to do that. So if he goes, I'll be gone, too.”

Realizing her defeat, my mom has tears sparkling in the corners of her eyes. My chest is pumping ferociously in fear of what's going to happen next and Jace looks like a statue, frozen in place. My mom gets up suddenly, dabbing her eyes with her shirt.

“I'm going back to work,” she chokes, exiting the room as silence creeps along the walls. Jace is frozen in place. I don't know what to do. We stay silent even for a few minutes after she leaves and we communicate to each other just by our facial expressions. We are both in a very serious state of mental shock.

“Hey, are you guys okay?” Kasen asks, breaking our silent communication. We both look in his direction and shrug our shoulders. Physically we're fine but mentally, we're somewhere else completely. I'd heard of heart break before, but I doubt anything could be as bad as this. I'd take Cody's blows to my face any time over this awful feeling.

“Guys, pack the camera back up,” Jace sighs, running his hand painfully through his hair. “We're done with this for now.”

“Okay, but what are we going to do the rest of the day?” Kasen wonders obnoxiously.

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing.”

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

A/N: Sorry for the filler >.< But I think I've finally overcome my writers block! I'm going to really take off with this soon :). Thanks so much for your patience and I hope you enjoyed! 

-Kelly