Upon the Broken Hills pt. 1

This is a story that was never finished, but was intended to be the start of a series.  It's actually a loose basis of what The Blood Throne series is planned to be based on.  In this case though, some of the viewpoints are switched, but it's all to make the actual series that much better.  Fair warning, this one is filled with dialogue, and is back from early in high school, so it may be a little on the weaker side.

This part will be split in two, the second will be much longer and released next friday.  I hope you enjoy this, comment, vote, follow, whatever makes you happy as a reader.  Happy Thursday!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"William."  He looked up from his book and smiled as he saw his mother walk in, her skirts sliding on the marble floor.

"What is it mother?"  She looked at the book he had set on the table, frowning as she noticed its subject matter.

"Your father is worried.  You have been idle ever since you learned of the line of succession."

"I do not care for it.  That is simply all.  I am expected to be a leader when I am given no such task to show my worth.  What am I expected to do?  There are no wars to be won, no deeds provided, and certainly no political power to be had."

"Then speak to your grandfather, as the King he still is in charge of you.  Do not hate your father for a decision he did not make."  William sighed and looked his mother in the eye, his energy fading.

"I do not blame him.  I blame myself.  Grandfather leaves me in this unsettling peace because I showed little promise to him.  He believes I cannot handle the matters of state."

"Then let me give you a chance."  His mother knelt before him on the floor, taking his hands in her smaller ones, her skirts cascading on the floor.  "At your age your father had already joined the cavalry unit.  I believe you can handle such a task."

"How do I achieve that?"  She placed her hand back on his and pulled him up with her.

"I know the general.  Meet him and persuade him that you are the right fit for such a duty.  You have already been trained.  You merely need the etiquette of a knight and the mentality."

"That will be a difficult task for someone of his peaceful nature."  His father stood under the arch that connected the library to the main halls of the castle.  "He has never seen battle, nor has he swung a sword while on the back of a destrier.  How do you expect to reach the same level as the other horsemen who have trained since they were lads?"

"I do not know, but I will try."  His brown hair hung over his eyes, blocking him from seeing the approach of his father until his hand rested on William's head.

"And try you will.  I have already spoken to the General.  He has agreed to train you.  Granted, it will occur in the training fields of the castle.  Out of sight of any who would disrespect the crown."  William smiled in spite of that, bowing deeply to his father.

"Thank you, my lord."  His father smiled and bowed his head slightly, acknowledging the sentiment.

"Go at once.  He has already waited for half the hour."