Upon the Broken Hills pt 2

So here is the second part, which I realized reminded me a lot of the movie, Kingdom of Heaven in some ways.  The funny part?  This was before I saw the movie, several years before then.  I'm thinking that since I put this on here I might as well sneak in a small part of The Blood Throne into the next update.  That series is going to either come out in 2017 or 2018 as rough release date.  It's a large world and long series to cover, so I can't make any promises on any of that, especially when there is already another story in development right now.

Anyway, enjoy this small bit of a story, comment, vote, follow.  You know the usual reminder.  Happy late Friday guys?  I know this was beyond late, which is ridiculous, so I'm definitely kicking myself for that.

Hope you guys enjoy, and don't forget to comment, vote, and maybe even follow.  And if you've been to my profile, maybe you've noticed the new header and want to check out my two main books; Wastelands and The 24th Hunger Games.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Is that them?"  William reigned in his horse, eyeing the flags that rose on the horizon.

"I believe so, my lord."

"Can you handle being the interpreter?"  Losing the one Peter had given him took away the confidence he had in the impending conversations.

"Yes.  I lived nearby in their main city for three years."  A large dust cloud masked the cavalry that they knew was there.

"Let's get this over with."  Samuel nodded and followed him to the middle of the battlefield, stopping in the large space, their eyes never leaving the mass that was coming their way.  Their horses stomped at the ground in anticipation, the metal armor reflecting the light of the sun as they moved.  From the other side came a group of five horsemen, one in the middle wearing more armor than the rest.

"Greetings."  The leader raised his hand, bowing his head slightly out of respect.

"You speak English."  William tried not to sound impressed.

"One tries to do as much as they can.  You though, are a fool to be here."

"And why is that, may I ask?"  The foreign man frowned at him, reigning in his own horse as it stepped around underneath him.

"My sources have warned my of the attack that has been planned on your kingdom."

"And why should I trust your sources or your word?"  Now the man smiled, leaning down in a mock bow.

"Because I have no wish to battle an inexperienced prince-ling."  William glared at him, not appreciating the blow.

"And yet your reply baits me to slice off your head for your impudence."  The leader nodded, but turned his horse around, his soldiers following him again.

"What is to be done, my lord?"  William looked to Samuel, and back at his waiting army.

"We stay here tonight."  His gaze slid to the disappearing cloud of dust that was the other army, noting how quickly they were gone.  "How good are your connections in his kingdom?"

"They were mostly farmers.  I knew a few soldiers, but not well enough."

"Very well.  When we get back to camp follow me into the tent."  Samuel nodded and rode in behind him, their horses sweating in the sweltering light of the desert sun.  As they entered the camp, William strode into the main tent, yanking his gauntlets off and throwing them roughly onto the table.

"What was he speaking of, Counselor?"  The military counselor, a tanned man in his forties grimaced.

"I do not know, my lord.  It could be a ploy to have us leave him in peace.  He disrespected you in every way possible."  

William paced around the tent before pointing at the man.  "No, that man was confident.  I will not simply ignore his words."

"What exactly are you suggesting, my lord?  That we leave and retreat to our homes to find everything as it was when we left?  We will be mocked!"  The man's face went red as he ignored the dark expression that was on his prince's face.  "Our descendants will scorn our name and worse, the titles we give to them."

"And I realize that.  That is not what I am suggesting Counselor.  Send one of the lightest riders to inspect our city and we will remain here.  It is a two day ride at most, and it is a better option than ignoring any of the given facts."  He sighed and dropped into his seat, massaging his forehead.

"Yes, my lord."  The counselor bowed deeply and retreated out of the tent.

"You know what may happen to you, Samuel.  Do you not?"  Samuel looked to him as William sat there, a look of agony on his face.

"I do not understand, sir."

"If it is as I fear, you will have to stay here and try to convince them to be an ally."  Samuel looked to the ground at those words, knowing their gravity and danger.  "How could this have happened?"  The question was for himself, and Samuel understood that much, bowing and going out into the mayhem of the camp outside those canvas walls.