Chapter 30

***** 6 months later *****
I nervously sat on my front porch. I saw that familiar truck pull up into my driveway. He jumped out and started towards me. I stood but my body wouldn't move. My pulse quickened and my heart started racing. I was finally able to move. I walked to the end of the porch and off of it and stopped at the bottom of the stairs. He stopped a few feet short of where I was. "Hey." He said. I had something to say. What was I going to say? Did he always make me lose my train of thought? I don't remember that but I do remember the feeling of being alive and the feeling that my body was on fire. A fire has been rekindled that I thought was put out long ago. "Hey." I managed to force the word out of my mouth. "How are you holding up?" He asked his face softening. I gave a slight nod. "I'm hanging in there." He smiled. Gosh that smile. I felt myself involuntarily smiling. I looked down at the ground. "Would you like to go in the house?" I asked not looking back up at him. "After you." He said extending his arm out. I turned and started walking towards the house. I felt his arm gently brush against my back sending a shiver down my spine. My body tingled wherever his hand touched. We walked back into my house. He followed me into the kitchen where I made two drinks. "Wine okay with you?" I asked before pouring him a glass. "Wine would be great." He said. I gave a slight nod and poured two glasses. We went out to the back porch and sat in two rocking chairs.

I took a drink of my wine before talking.
"So what's new with you?" I asked looking up at him.
"Well, as you know me and Lexie divorced. After she lost the baby we fell apart...so for the past three years I've been putting myself into my practice. I bought myself a house in Maine. I go up there every summer. I bought it and fixed it up." He said. I gave a slight nod. I didn't really want the answer to the question that was spilling out of my mouth. "You do all of this by yourself?" I asked. A small smirk appeared on his lips realizing what I meant. He took a drink of his wine and shook his head. "Nope..Luke helped me." I rolled my eyes. "Shut up." He chuckled. "He helped me fix the house up. Is that not what you asked me?" I shot him a look.

He grew serious. "I dated a little for the first couple of years, but every time I went out on a date I compared them all to some brown headed girl. 6 years later and all I can think about is her. I looked for her in every woman I dated, and never found her; never found anything even close to her." He said and took another drink of his wine. Tears came to my eyes. I couldn't speak. We sat in silence for a little while. I got up and went and grabbed the bottle of wine and came back out and poured more in each of our glasses. When neither of us said anything I heard him set his glass down. "I love you." Ben said looking up at me. I shook my head. "Ben.." He stopped me. "I love you Jayla Lynn. I have been in love with you for forever. I would've chose you...any day given any opportunity." "Ben we don't have to do this." I said my voice starting to shake. "And you took the choice away from me! I would've picked you Jayla and you knew it! I'm in love with you Jayla and I'll wait. I'll wait until you find a way to love me again." He said his voice rising a bit. I got up and turned around feeling tears come to my eyes. I started to walk away but my heart wouldn't let me. I spun back around to face him. "You're asking me to fall in love with you again?" I took a deep breath to steady my voice.  "How do I do that when I never stopped?" I asked my voice cracking and tears spilled from my eyes. He walked forward until I was in his arms again. My lips met with his again setting my lips on fire. I intensified the kiss by pulling his body closer to mine. He picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist and my hands found his familiar black hair. I eventually broke the kiss. We both fought for air. I giggled and he smirked. "The Sparks still there." I said. He nodded. "I'd say so." Tears came to my eyes. "I love you." I whispered resting my forehead against his. "I love you too." He answered. "Can you put me down?" I asked with a giggle. He put me down. I stood there in his arms for a while. "It's getting late." He said. "Yeah." I agreed.

"I should probably get going." He said starting to move away. I shook my head. "You shouldn't drive after all that wine. I have a spare bedroom stay here." I said not letting go of him. "Are you sure that's a good idea Jay?" I shook my head. "No." "Do you want me to go?" I shook my head again. "No." I moved back and looked up at him and smiled. He returned the smile. I moved out of his arms and grabbed his hand and led him up the stairs and into the spare room. I gave him a quick kiss in goodnight and went down the hall to my room. "He's not going to sleep." I muttered and turned around and opened my door and ran down the hall and started to knock on his door when he swung it open and came out of it and ran straight into me. I smirked. "You're not going to sleep." I said and jumped on him. He caught me and I wrapped my legs around him. He walked backwards and kicked the door shut before walking over to the bed a lower us down. "Just like old times." I said breaking the kiss. He smirked. "Just like old times." He muttered before kissing my neck.