Chapter 1

Preface

Rachel Morris was lying on the floor horizontally with the face and body facing up. She was unconscious, and her golden skin turned pale. The black dress she wore had enhanced overall elegance, and she appeared as a beautiful human marionette who was probably dead. There wasn't any light in the room apart from the one bright light focused on her. The unexpected movements of her fingers assured that the pulse was still there. She gasped to breathe and opened her big brown eyes. She came back to her senses in a flash, but all she could see was the darkness while panting. She raised herself from the floor, and her expression got hardened. She glanced sideways and yelled, "hello!". As she stood there, she heard sounds of a rough breath, but it wasn't hers. She turned her head backward slowly, held her breath, and with her dilated pupils, she screamed out loud. She turned abruptly to run, but she slumped to the ground. Someone grabbed her by her ankles from behind and began hauling her backward as she continued to scream until she faded into the darkness.

                    ************

Rachel's eyes snapped open, her breath coming in ragged gasps. The remnants of her nightmare clung to her like a shadow, and her heart pounded heavily in her chest. She sat up in bed, her long black hair a tangled mess around her, contrasting sharply with her fair complexion. The dream had been a tormenting whirl of darkness and fear, and it left her feeling exposed and unsettled.As she tried to shake off the lingering dread, she heard her aunt's voice calling from downstairs. "Rachel! Come downstairs, dear! It's time for breakfast!"

Rachel rubbed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to ground herself in reality. The morning light filtered through her thin curtains, casting a soft, warm glow over her room. She could hear the distant sounds of her aunt bustling in the kitchen. Slowly, Rachel swung her legs over the side of the bed and placed her bare feet on the cool wooden floor. With a determined sigh, she made her way out of her room, her mind still haunted by the unsettling images of her dream.As Rachel descended the stairs, she saw her aunt, Lisa, in the kitchen, busy preparing breakfast. The smell of pancakes and bacon filled the air, a comforting aroma that contrasted sharply with the fear still lingering in Rachel's mind. Aunt Lisa looked up from the stove with a warm, if slightly weary, smile.

"Good morning, Rachel," Lisa said, her tone filled with genuine concern. "You look like you had a rough night."Rachel forced a smile as she took a seat at the table. "Morning, Aunt Lisa. Yeah, I had a bad dream. But I'm okay now."Lisa set a plate of pancakes and bacon in front of Rachel, her brow furrowing slightly. "I'm sorry to hear that. I hope this helps you feel better."

Rachel poked at her food absentmindedly, her mind still occupied by the unsettling remnants of her dream. Just as she was about to take a bite, Aunt Lisa's voice cut through her thoughts."Oh, Rachel, I almost forgot to remind you. We'll be leaving for Camlocks town by this evening. Your admission at Sapphire Boarding Academy starts tomorrow."Rachel's fork paused in mid-air, her mood shifting from unease to irritation. "What? I don't want to go to that school," she said, setting the fork down. "Why do I have to leave? Can't I just stay here?"

Lisa sighed and placed her coffee mug down on the table, her expression troubled. "Rachel, we've discussed this. I think it's for the best. I don't want you to be a burden. The school is a good place for you—it's better than staying here where things might get more complicated."Rachel's eyes flashed with frustration. "I'm not a burden! I don't understand why you're sending me away. Why couldn't you have told me about this sooner? It feels like you're just pushing me out."