Chapter 7

Rachel's mind wandered into a daydream. In this dream, a handsome stranger with striking green eyes and lips that seemed to beckon held her gently by the waist. She was dressed in a dark, gothic-style dress, resembling a queen of the night. The mysterious man leaned in close, his voice a sultry whisper in her ear, enticing her with, "Say it if you do."

With a gentle kiss on her hand, Rachel's eyes began to close, and it felt as though a spell was taking hold of her. She reached for the man's face, ready to kiss him, only to realize that he was Trevor, the enigmatic person she had seen in the class just the day before.

The abrupt sound of a book slamming onto her desk pulled Rachel back to reality. She blinked in haste, her daydream fading away. Alex, her friend, had dropped some books and was looking at her with concern. She asked, "Rachel, where are you lost? We all feel sad about Flora, but you seem particularly affected."

Rachel was left bewildered, wondering why she had been dreaming about a new person when she was in love with Daniel. She couldn't make sense of her emotions.

As she tried to collect her thoughts, the classroom door swung open, and a striking young man in blue jeans and a brown leather jacket walked in. It was Trevor, the same person she had thought about. His entrance was so impressive that the whole class was captivated.

Trevor proceeded to the back of the room, paying no attention to Rachel. She waited, hoping for a glance or some recognition, but it never came. It seemed as if he was deliberately avoiding her, as if she is invisible. These thoughts left Rachel feeling disturbed and anxious.

Rachel's curiosity about Trevor was piqued, and she glance back at him. He was engrossed in his phone, seemingly indifferent to the world around him. Alex noticed Rachel's distraction and inquired about it. Rachel, still lost in her thoughts, wondered aloud, "How come I've never seen him in this class before?"

Before Alex could respond, their teacher, Mrs. Ruth, entered the classroom and greeted the class with a cheerful "Good morning." She proceeded to set up the projector, explaining that they would be learning about Egyptian culture.

While Mrs. Ruth's voice droned on, Rachel's mind remained fixated on Trevor. What was it about him that had captured her thoughts so completely?

During the break, Rachel turned to Alex and asked about Trevor. She confided in her friend, "Who is he?"

Alex's eyes widened in surprise. "I didn't know he was back from London," she replied.

"London?" Rachel questioned, puzzled.

Alex continued, "Yes, he took leave to visit his family in London. He was away for several weeks."

Rachel was taken aback. "No wonder he has a British accent, but did you notice Trevor's strange behavior in class?"

Alex nodded, her expression grave. "Yeah, I did. But I think I know why he's been acting that way."

Rachel looked at her friend, confusion written all over her face. "What do you mean?"

Taking a deep breath, Alex began to explain. "The last time Trevor left school, he found the body of a fellow student in the woods. The police thought he must have been in shock, so his parents took him to London for a while. But when he came back, there was another death—Flora's."

Rachel's heart sank as she listened to Alex's words. "Oh my god, that's awful. No wonder he's been acting strange. It must be so hard for him."

Alex nodded in agreement. "Yeah, it must be. I feel really bad for him."

Determined to help, Rachel made up her mind to confront Trevor. 

Rachel watched as Trevor made his way down the hallway, his pace steady and determined. Summoning her courage, she called out, "Hey, Trevor!"