Chapter 70

CARL'S POV.
"What do you mean something is wrong?" I shout at him.
"SHHHHH! People are asleep!" He warns.
"I don't give a shit about the other people. Whats happened to Madison?" I yell
"Well, she was meant to be awake by this morning. We had cameras on her at all times in case she woke. But she never did. We think that her body is underhydrated and lacking in blood. The transfusions are on going but her blood pressure is low." David rambles.
"What are you trying to tell us?" Abbie asks.
"Madison is in a coma."
Silence. Thats all I hear until I realise i've shoved him against a wall.
"Help her! Get her out of the Coma you dumbass!" I yell.
Dad pulls me back and I relax slightly.
"A coma?" Dad repeats.
"Yeah but hopefully a short-term coma. This can happen often due to major blood loss, but she has a low blood pressure. We need to get it up." He explains.
Nobody knows what to say. Short term? "How long is short-term?"
"Not certain. It could be a few hours, days, weeks and possibly months."
I take my hat off and run my hand through my sweaty hair.
"On a lighter note i'm sure your curious about this place. You can go for your showers now and give in your clothes to be washed. We will supply you with temporary clothes until these ones are cleaned. Then when its half nine come down for breakfast. Immediatly after breakfast have all of your people come to Dawns office. Do. Not. Miss. This. You five can show your friends where the showers are later but for now you can go now, follow me." He instructs.
The bathrooms were closer than I thought. Just down to the bottom of our corridor there is a turn off to the left and right. We turn left and walk into a huge white room with toilet and sink stalls. On the otherside of the room there are cubicals with doors for privacy. I walk into the cubical as does everybody else. I turn a handle left and water pours ontop of me. Not just water. Hot water. I run out and leave my hat, shoes and socks next to the towels that are provided. I grab a towel and lock the cubical door. I strip down to nothing and step under the steamy hot water. I feel it run down my back and drizzle down my face. When I look to the tiled ground I see brown water at my feet. All mud and blood is being washed off me. Somebody threw two bottles over the door. I picked it up and read 'shampoo' and 'conditioner'.
I rub the shampoo into my scalp and rinse the suds. I don't think i'll be able to get out of the shower. I do the same with the conditioner. I turn off the shower knowing if I don't leave now i'll never be able to get out. I wrap the towel around my waist and walk out. I grab a pair of jeans and a blue shirt thats been left out. I see that Daryl is already out and he looks so uncomfortable in his new clothes.
"You look ridiculous." I mock.
"Say it again and i'll put you through that wall." He remarks shoving me but I know he's just kidding.
We get dressed seperately and go back to the others. By the time they have had they're showers its 9:15am. We all go downstairs and into the reception. We see tens and hundreds of people flood through a large hallway. We follow them and go through a set of double doors. Inside is a cafeteria. Hundreds of large white rectangular tables are rowed up and down the room. People stand behind a counter holding bowls and spoons in their hands and hairnets on their heads. People stare at us as we walk in. The noisey hall suddenly becomes shockingly quiet. We walk down to the counter and find food. A large variety of foods and drinks. This place is an actual heaven in hell. I carry Judith in my left arm and grab a tray with my other. I look at cereals, toast, scones and fruit salad. I don't have a clue where they get this stuff but i'm not complaining. I grab scones and jam and some orange slices for Judith to chew on. Our group sit in silence. Eating anything in our paths. I eat so much I think I might be sick. Everyone else looks the same. I can honestly say that was the best meal i've had in too long. People file out of the room and I hear things from people like.
"Who are the new ones?"
"Why are they here?"
"They look like shit."
"What job do you have today?"
I let most of them slide apart from the last. It makes me wonder why they have jobs and if they are different everyday. We take a long time to finish and then we go to Dawns Office, just as we were instructed to do. Dad opens the door and then we all flood in. Taking seats that have been purposely left in there for us. We sit.
"Firstly, I hope you all had a good sleep and that this mornings breakfast has answered some of your questions."
"Some." Rosita agrees.
"Well, i'm here to go through the rules.
Firstly. Absolutely nobody will harm or kill anybody or you will wish that you never layed eyes on this hospital.
Secondly, we have a curfew. Nobody out of bed past 10pm. The light and noise attracts the walkers.
Thirdly, nobody sets foot in the operating or emergency rooms without my say so.
Breakfast is at the same time everyday as is lunch at 1:30pm and dinner at 6pm there is a cart of fruit at the reception that you can snack from throughout lunch and dinner hours. Only one piece of fruit is permitted. We have food, but not a lot." She rambles.
"This is a long list of rules." Daryl mumbles.
"Theres more. This is very important, everybody has a role to play. Each and every one of you all will be assigned a job here. Fail to follow out that task and you will be punished. It rare that people leave these walls for anything apart from our food and clothe suppliers. That basically sums up everything.There are a few more but we don't need to worry about them until later." She says.
"Now. Lets get you all some jobs." Her guard amends.
"Oh I forgot one more thing. Nobody leaves. If you attempt to flee I will torture you in ways you can't imagine. I won't kill you, i'll do something so much more worse you will be begging for death." Dawn smirks.