Elizabeth {Chapter Fifteen}

interesting chapter..i looked up some latin words for it :) was fun, I like learning words in other languages. i like this one, not my fave, but i like it

Chapter Fifteen

I sat at the kitchen table as the doctor examined me. He was poking my neck and my stomach and my back. This was the first time I’d ever even heard of a vampire doctor, I hadn’t known that they existed. “Yep,” he said after a while. “Just like I thought.” He started writing down stuff on his clipboard.

I sat there for a bit as he wrote, confused as hell.

“So….?” I said questioningly to the doctor after a little while.

“Vampiro Egresco,” he said, still writing random gibberish for all I could tell when looking at the paper.

“I don’t know what that means!” I said with frustration when he didn’t go on to tell me what the heck that was.

“It’s and illness,” he said simply, finally done writing and, clicked his pen.

“Vampires can get sick?” Liam asked from where he sat in the corner.

“Hence the doctor,” said Kate. “Now shush.” She had only let Liam in to see on the condition that he stayed quiet.

“So what does that mean?” I asked the doctor as calmly as I could. I was trying my hardest not to get angry with him. It wasn’t his fault I had no idea about any of this stuff. “And how did I get it?”

“What it means is your urges to feed will come more often and they’ll be heightened. As for how you got it, I’m not sure. I’m part of a group of doctors who are studying it right now, but so far it seems to just appear out of nowhere.” He turned to Kate. “And we’re pretty sure it’s not contagious, so I think you’ll be fine.”

“So what do I do about feeding? I can’t just go around on a murder streak,” I stated.

“Is this your donor?” the doctor asked me as he pointed at Liam.

“My what?” I said in confusion.

“You feed on him, no? I can tell,” he said.

“How can you tell?” Kate asked curiously.

Liam was just sitting there with a weird look on his face.

“The way he reacted when I said she would need to feed more often. He looked a bit frightened but his face showed he accepted before he had even thought about it much, so he cares for her. And he touched his neck, which is an obvious sign. Plus the bite marks on his throat and wrist are the exact same so only one vampire feeds on him. He’s Elizabeth’s donor.”

“No,” I said. “I’m pretty sure he’s my boyfriend. I’m not just using him for blood.”

“Whether you care for him or not, he cares for you because he willingly lets you take his blood. And each time he lets you feed on him you two get a stronger connection. You can sense his emotions, right?” The doctor asked me. I nodded and Liam gave me a questioning look.

“So why did you bring this up?” I asked the doctor.

“You’ll need blood, and there isn’t much in the area. There isn’t anything I can do about you, but I can give the donor-“

I cut him off. “Liam.”

“I can give Liam,” he said, “something so the usual side effects of the feeding will go away. His body will make blood a lot faster so he won’t run out, and he won’t be as tired afterward. But as soon as your urges start slowing down and get regular again, he’ll need to stop taking it.”

“Liam, are you even up for all that?” I asked him.

He nodded. He seemed a little scared, but there was something else mixed in. The same, but a little different. It was almost…protectiveness and worry. For me.

I looked back at the doctor. “Alright, let’s do it.” He started digging in his briefcase and then pulled out a small bottle of pills. He handed them to Liam.

“Twice a day by mouth. When Elizabeth’s urges start to slow down, just one a day. This should be more than enough.”

Liam took them slowly and examined the bottle and the pills inside it.

The doctor told Kate to call if she needed anything, and then left. Liam and I just kind of looked at each other. Kate left to go get Sarah. She was taking her out every evening, having her feed less and less until she got used to just feeding every once in a while.

Liam was watching me with concern.

“What?” I asked.

“I’m worried about you, Eli,” he said, getting up and walking over to sit next to me.

“Thanks,” I said with a smile. I leaned in and kissed him. “And not just for that, for everything. You’re amazing, I love you so much.”

“I love you, too,” he said, pulling me in for a hug.

“Are you hungry?” he asked after a little bit.

“Not really,” I said. “But I can feel it coming.”

Liam got up and walked to the cupboards.  He pulled out a glass and filled it with water from the faucet. I watched as he took a pill from the bottle and swallowed it. He turned around and smiled at me.

“Ready when you are,” he said.

I actually wasn’t feeling like it then, so we watched a movie. I talked him into The Notebook, but it took a lot of work. And I think he only agreed to it because I didn’t feel good. I was starting in with a stomach ache; something I hadn’t gotten in a long, long time.

We went to bed after, and I slept in Liam’s room. He insisted on it so he could keep an eye on me. He was really scared, I could tell even though he was really good at hiding it. But he wasn’t scared that I was going to bite him, he was afraid I wouldn’t. That I would be too concerned about hurting him and ignore my own needs.

I tried to ignore my stomach ache, but it was really hard. It took me a little while to fall asleep.