■ Chitchat

"Really? I didn't hear you," I gave a really fake giggle, hoping it would work.

"I am really happy you apologised to the waiter. I heard you speaking to him," He said and then smiled slowly.

"Oh," Relief spread through me. I thought I was done for.

"That's a really nice thing you did. I wasn't too happy when you spoke to him like that, to be honest. But you apologised and earned my respect. Its nice that you treat others kindly. Its one of the traits I admire in a person," He said, sipping on his coffee.

No. Hate me. I didn't want his respect. As much as he was cute, I didn't want his anything. I didn't want to maintain any contact with him in future. I gave a meek chuckle before proceeding to chug down my now cold coffee.

"Okay, Alice. May I have your number, if you don't mind? I love sharing memes and recommendations of good movies," He said, finishing his coffee.

I had no way out. I didn't wanna get killed by my sister. Plus, despite all the hesitance, he was definitely easy on the eyes.

Oh hell, I wanted his number too.

"You really want to be friends with me, huh?"

"Why do you sound so surprised?"

The attention. It felt good. It felt nice. I felt like I held some sort of power. If a change of clothes could bring me the attention of a good looking guy, despite what people said, it actually was nice. I could even swear the number of polite smiles I had received since the time I had left the house had increased.

Man, people really treated you differently when you dolled yourself up a bit. And damn, maybe I was shameless but it felt good. It really felt good to gave the attention of people suddenly. I nodded and gave him my number instead.

I was going to regret it, I knew it. Somewhere inside, I felt something was not going to go down well. Everything would crumble if I enhanced the fabrication further. I could prolong this for few days and tell the truth. If he had to run away, he would. Not that I cared much. Till then, I wouldn't mind the attention of a good looking lad.

"Anyway, tell me something about you," He said, crossing his arms and giving a curious look.

I doubt this guy ever got angry. He was this big ball of sunshine and positivity. It didn't seem like he possessed any negative energy. Happiness and joy radiated off him.

"Um... didn't I say before?" I asked. Perfect. More chitchat. Just what Alice told me.

"Not really. We just spoke about our schools and you having a twin sister. You know, when I mentioned my school I swear you seemed taken aback that day," He smirked.

"I was. You are the enemy afterall," I shrugged.

"Listen. School enmity remains till school. Not beyond that. It doesn't mean we have to be enemies everywhere. Now tell me something about you."

"Um..." I tried remembering Alice's favorites. But her tastes had changed and I didn't know about them. I couldn't recall her favorite movie or book or color. So, I hit a blank wall.

"Come on. Don't think so much. Its just your favorites," Jared said, "How hard can it be?"

You big fat liar-

Screw it. I was anyway too deep in shit to care anymore.

"Fiction and classic books but I am not a bibliophile," I said truthfully.

Since Alice had no interest in this guy it was just me with him. Only for today.

This is the first and last time we were talking. That's it. Maybe I would block his number when I reached home.